New PSU

Yea, I guess you're right. The entire computer industry is nothing but a big scam and everybody is getting kick backs. Thanks for clearing that up.

I thought the vague power requirements stated by the GPU manufactures is purely down to the fact that they cannot accurately state the PSU needed because it depends on so many other things; CPU, Mobo, RAM, HD's etc. They know how much their card draws but the variables are the other components in a system and the quality of different PSU's.

I'm sure they know 'X' card will operate fine with 400W PSU but if they state that and people use 400W substandard PSU's with OC'd CPU's and 5 HD's then the PSU gives up there will be problems for the user and the GPU manufactures and their quotes.

You reduce this problem by stating over rated PSU wattage requirements.

Although the above really applies to noobs.

I thought the vague power requirements stated by the GPU manufactures is purely down to the fact that they cannot accurately state the PSU needed because it depends on so many other things; CPU, Mobo, RAM etc. They know how much their card draws but the variables are the other components in a system and the quality of different PSU's.

I'm sure they know 'X' card will operate fine with 400W PSU but if they state that and people use 400W substandard PSU's with OC'd CPU's and 5 HD's then the PSU gives up there will be problems for the user and the GPU manufactures and their quotes.

You reduce this problem by stating over rated PSU wattage requirements.

Although the above really applies to noobs.

That's sort of what I assume as well, but you know what they say about assumptions :eek:

At the end of the day does it really matter why? Can't we just say that in most cases the recommendations are overstated and it's different for each computer, and call it a day?

Sure, you can assume that the recommendations are overstated if you like.

You see, I'm a hands on kinda guy. I like to know how things work and why. I'm much better at hardware and mechanical things than I am with software. I also like to deal with facts and not assumptions. Which is why I asked the question in the first place. All I keep getting is assumptions. The best guess was that they overstated the requirements so as not to have them underpowered. But it's only a guess. . .

You see, I'm a hands on kinda guy. I like to know how things work and why. I'm much better at hardware and mechanical things than I am with software. I also like to deal with facts and not assumptions. Which is why I asked the question in the first place. All I keep getting is assumptions. The best guess was that they overstated the requirements so as not to have them underpowered. But it's only a guess. . .

Likewise and in this case logic states that the figures are over stated...

... to protect the manufactures.

The knowledgeable ones among us know that you don't need a 600W PSU to power X card but they also understand the it's all about quality not necessarily quantity.

Yea, I guess you're right. The entire computer industry is nothing but a big scam and everybody is getting kick backs. Thanks for clearing that up.

where did I say "everybody"...? please point that out to me, again you put your own words (not mine) into a post to try to prove your point, not very moderator like behavior imo, but I guess since you're a mod it's your board and you can do what you want, if this is truly what you believe that I was saying and your post wasn't just pure hyperbole then obviously reading comprehension is not your strong suit...

and yet you choose to ignore real world benchmarks in controlled environments that tell you maximum power consumption for complete systems that are way below the "suggested" psu requirements...?

interesting...

Back
Top Bottom