Intel Core i7-920 CPU
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
Corsair DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 1600Mhz RAM
Western Digital AV-GP WD5000AVDS 500GB 32MB System HD
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Streaming HD
Corsair CMPSU-650TX PSU
LG DVD Burner
Antec Three Hundred Case

$942, pretty much near the top end of your budget.

You could change a few things to get the price down.

I've included two seperate hard drives - one for the OS and apps. and the other to use as a video streaming drive when editing. I went for the i7 920 since Newegg still stock them to save a few cents. The RAM is ok to start of with but if your projects get large then you might want to upgrade later by adding another 3GB.

Intel Core i7-920 CPU
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
Corsair DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 1600Mhz RAM
Western Digital AV-GP WD5000AVDS 500GB 32MB System HD
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Streaming HD
Corsair CMPSU-650TX PSU
LG DVD Burner
Antec Three Hundred Case

$942, pretty much near the top end of your budget.

You could change a few things to get the price down.

I've included two seperate hard drives - one for the OS and apps. and the other to use as a video streaming drive when editing. I went for the i7 920 since Newegg still stock them to save a few cents. The RAM is ok to start of with but if your projects get large then you might want to upgrade later by adding another 3GB.

I'm really liking this build, the only thing I might add or change is the computer case. Now two different hard drives, one for OS and Apps and the other for video editing? Not sure how I would set that up that way. Any tips or a quick explanation?

I'm really liking this build, the only thing I might add or change is the computer case. Now two different hard drives, one for OS and Apps and the other for video editing? Not sure how I would set that up that way. Any tips or a quick explanation?

You can have what ever case you like. Its just food for thought.

<Ninja Edit>

The idea of the two drives is to keep your work separate and allow seamless data streaming of your work while editing. You just store your work on the larger drive. There's nothing worse than working with audio/video or both and having to wait for the information to be read/written while doing heavy editing.

You can have what ever case you like. It just and idea.

The idea of the two drives is the same for audio editing/production. You store the video editing projects on the larger faster drive so that when your editing the work the application can stream the information seamlessly from that drive while its being worked. There's nothing worse than working with audio/video or both and having to wait for the information to be read/written. Also your work is on a separate drive so anything you do with the OS drive won't interfere with your work.

It's exactly the same thing with audio recording/editing.

I don't mean to sound like a total noob as my computer knowledge is very basic, but by storing my editing projects on the larger faster drive, do you quite literally mean "Save As" and save to (Insert Bigger Faster Drive Name Here).?

I don't mean to sound like a total noob as my computer knowledge is very basic, but by storing my editing projects on the larger faster drive, do you quite literally mean "Save As" and save to (Insert Bigger Faster Drive Name Here).?

Exactly.

And i'm sure with Sony Vegas you can set your 'data' drive in the settings.

Thanks for the help everyone. Really appreciate it. Looks like I have myself a summer project.

Keep us up to date with it!

:D

Hey you know what that's a great idea. Well right now I have a big week of testing coming up before I get out for summer break. I plan on using the bulk of my earnings from my summer job on building the project. I might start a new thread blogging the process with pics for when the parts arrive as well as assembly and the final result.

Back
Top Bottom