where do I stand

hey what up people?

im going to be building a new setup soon and I was wondering if it is going to outpreform my current system. I will list the specs of the 2 machines.

Machine 1: socket 478 pentium 4 2.4 Ghz ht
ati radeon hd 4650 1gb, AGP 8x
2gb DDR 3200
160 gb sata HDD
80GB IDE
IDE optical drive

Machine 2:
Socket 939 single core athlon 2.6 GHz
ATI Radeon x1650 PCI-E
1 GB OCZ gold DDR 400 (I will pop in the ram from the P4 also, I know it will underclock this ram)
same hard and optical drives

Just give me a rough idea, the p4 runs GTA4 with med settings at about 15 FPS, and that's in windows 7. thanks...

no budget. the deal is if I can find a mobo the other components for the AMD system will be free to me. a friend is hooking me up

Yeah... Ummm it is not going to be any better. In fact, that system will perform quire a bit worse than your current system.

I recommend switching to a less dated platform. AM3/Athlon II is excellent for the price. Your current video card should be fine. The 4650 is a decent low-end performer.

foothead, not to be rude but please don't give people a hard time over their budget, Im sure he realizes that its not the most up to date system. Are these the ONLY two options, you are kinda vague in your reply, can you pick any motherboard or is this the only options. If so the Pentiums because it has HT and more RAM.

foothead, not to be rude but please don't give people a hard time over their budget, Im sure he realizes that its not the most up to date system. Are these the ONLY two options, you are kinda vague in your reply, can you pick any motherboard or is this the only options. If so the Pentiums because it has HT and more RAM.

I don't think he's trying to be rude about his budget. It's just that the second computer is quite significantly worse in just about every aspect. The original Athlons (not the XP's, they were decent) were bleh, at least comparing them to a P4.

But, like usual, you would be better off investing money into a new computer rather then trying to upgrade this one.

i'm sure I could sell it to a friend of mine for at least 100 dollars. It would play cs at a good frame rate.

You may be able to get that out of the system, if you are selling it turn around and add about 200 to it and you can make a killer desktop for the price. It would be a major upgrade from these options. So is your current system one of the two listed because I am still a bit confused on what exactly you are doing here dude :confused: :confused: .

Back
Top Bottom