32 bit os ram limit

justinups

In Runtime
with windows xp i know the ram limit is 4 gigs dose that include the ram on the video card and side port ram as well.

i mean if i put 4 gigs on the mobo and get a 1 gig video card will everything still work OK.

Ok, 32 bit OS's can only allocate 4gb of RAM. That includes ALL memory though. So video card memory, etc. is all included. Therefore if you install a 1gb video card, you will have only 3gb's left for your system RAM before you take everything else into account. It will all work, you just won't be able to use all of your system RAM.

It will still work alright, but I'd honestly suggest moving to either Vista or 7 64 bit if you get the chance.

XP is pretty archaic at this point.. I used to cling to it pretty hard, but I think it's time for people to move on.

I got 7 from the school im at so im not sure if this applies, but if all your local PC shop has is 32 bit, there was a slip in my vista upgrade disk to get a 64 bit for free, given that you can no longer use the 32 bit, but if you have one of the old OS upgrade disks laying around you can get the 64 bit editions for free brah.

but i thought the video card had its own ram and dident use the system ram.

whats the point in the video card having its own ram?

Back
Top Bottom