Core i5 problem

ghost_florian

Solid State Member
Hi there,

I have just finished building my first PC, and I seem to have a small problem.
Everything went well, the computer is running fine and doing what it's supposed to do, but I can't seem to make the CPU run faster than 2000mhz.

The configuration is:
Gigabyte ga-p55a-ud3r
Intel core i5-750
4GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX memory
1tb Hitachi HDD
XFX Radeon 5770
OCZ 600W PSU
Antec 300 case with 2 120 mm fans and one 140mm fan
Arctic cooler freezer 7 pro v2

I stress-tested the cpu with prime95 , it went to 100%, but the frequency never got past 2000mhz( or at least this is what CPU-z was saying), and the temperature past 38-39 degrees. The second part I understand( good cooling), but can someone tell me why isn't the cpu running past 2ghz?
I mean, it works great, I can do anything I want with it, but I'm a bit worried about this.
Someone help, please?

Don't be worried. It's down-clocking to save power. You'll find that when you start to stress the system the clock speed will rise.

You can run it at 2.660Ghz 24/7 if you want.

You need to go into the BIOS and disable CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E), CPU EIST Function and C.I.A.2.

This will stop your system under-clocking when idle.

The thing is, even when I'm stress testing it, the speed stays at 2.0 ghz!
I stress tested it with prime 95, large ftt's. So you're saying this is sth normal...

It's been known to happen with some of the latest Intel chips. Even under load they may not reach stock speeds.

Go into the BIOS and disable CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E), CPU EIST Function and C.I.A.2.

EDIT:

There's also the Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech. You can leave this enabled if you like. It will simply set the CPU mulit to X21 giving you a 2.793Ghz CPU speed.

I fixed it now. For some reason, the multiplier was set to 15, and not 20. So the max frequency was 2000 mhz. I now set it to 20 and runs at 2.798 with the turbo!

I fixed it now. For some reason, the multiplier was set to 15, and not 20. So the max frequency was 2000 mhz. I now set it to 20 and runs at 2.798 with the turbo!

Great. I was gonna suggest the CPU multi while writing the post. It's strange how it defaulted to X15. What are the temps like?

Did you reset the BIOS when you first installed the motherboard? It's possible that you received a board that has had another CPU using a 15x multi before.

I think I know what has happened. When I first turned on the computer and tried to install windows, I had some problems with the installation and set the bios to run fail-safe settings. Maybe this was the problem, but it's fixed now.
The board is new (like everything else). Everything works fine now.

Yeah, this is why I usually recommend setting all of the mobo settings yourself, or at least reviewing it all :p

Back
Top Bottom