Dazed and Confused

Marshillboy

In Runtime
So I've been out of the computer scene for awhile. Very recently, however, my motherboard's PCI-E slot graciously decided to give out. I'm frankly sick of dealing with it and all the slot failure and crap it's been giving me. I don't have time to wait for an RMA as this is my primary PC, and I'm just going to sell it as-is and rebuild.

All this trouble started when I just put an accelero s1 on my 4850 and then the bigger cooler tipped my zalman northbridge heatsink a little which I then tried to alleviate, then my pci-e slot mysteriously stopped working, and enough is enough. I'm keeping my 4850 for my next rig (especially seeing as I just put a new cooler on it), but frankly I think everything else has to go.

Anyways, long story short, I'm looking at building a mid-price range computer (I already have a brand new 23" asus monitor, an HD4850, other functioning peripherals, and a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate), but the array of cpus and matching motherboards is frankly overwhelming. For $500 to mid-600 (maybe), what is my best best? AMD/Intel, Phenom/i3/i5/i7?

Thanks,
Marshillboy

What will this computer be used for?
What parts are you going to have left over?
Do you need any specialized parts? (e.g. Tv tuner, sound card, etc.)
Do you have any special requests (e.g. Crossfirex capable, sli certified, crtain slots, etc.?)
Do you need any type of RAID setup?
Do you have brand preferences?
Are you out for extreme futureproofing, or do you just want whatever does the job that you currently need?
Is there a certain form factor you prefer?
Will you be overclocking any components?

Lol I can think of a lot more questions, but these are the main ones.

1. Gaming, video editing, photo editing, coding, the works
2. If by you mean pre-existing parts I will use, I only plan on reusing my 4850 card in the new build
3. I don't think any specialized parts are necessary, except maybe a wireless-n card
4. I'm not a big fan of multiple-gpu setups, they take alot of power and you can generally find a single better card, not really a big concern. In regards to the aforementioned wireless card, I suppose the slot demands on the motherboard will be dependent on whether it's a pci-express x1 or a normal pci wifi card
5. I don't think RAID is necessary for my needs right now
6. Brands aren't a big deal, although I do have a certain predisposition against rosewill...lol
7. Some degree of futureproofing is nice, but affordability is a bigger concern
8. Case size isn't a concern, but in regards to motherboards, I feel that full atx boards tend to be alot more physically spacious than mini-atx, and might be easier to work with in regards to large cpu heatsinks/etc
9. With a decent aftermarket cooler, I may consider overclocking the cpu if it's feasible

Well there's this Intel solution...

Intel Core i-750 CPU
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 Motherboard
4GB 1,600MHz DDR3 RAM
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX PSU

Comes out at $515. All you need is a case and after market CPU HSF if your going to overclock.

The CPU with the motherboard will give you great overclocking ability, the PSU is a rock and the RAM has great timings.

Remeniz, thanks for your input. However, I priced out a decent build and including optical, hdd, case, cooler, and all the parts you listed, it comes out to 700ish and probably substantially more with shipping.

It has come to my attention that the Phenom II x4 series isn't too bad at overclocking, and allows for a substantially cheaper build. Could this be the way to go?

Back
Top Bottom