Athlon 2600+ dead?

lhuser

Golden Master
Here's my dilema.

I have an ASUS A7N8X that originally had an Athlon 700MHz in it (Don't ask...I got it like that.)

Anyways, I switched the CPU to the 2600+ and, to begin with, the clock speed is set at 1600MHz, which is weird, since it's a 2.1GHz CPU.
Anyways, my concern isn't there; it's the fact that I have the BIOS temperature read at 70C-75C all the time. So, I ended up replacing the heatsink/fan to a bigger one and add some paste. However, what happened is that it posted the GPU BIOS and stalled there. So I reseated the GPU, making sure it was good, and bam! It doesn't post and after X ammount of time, it shuts off. So, for testing purposes, I slapped back the 700MHz CPU back in, and it works.

So, I put the 2600+ back, and it still won't post and sometimes wil lshut down on its own after X ammount of time.

I still feel the CPU is alive, since I can feel it warm up, however, that's not to consider.

Thing I'm wondering is, have I fried it?

Also, to add, the 700MHz would jump to 65C and still go up when I have the CPU heatsink on. What the heck is going on?

Flash your BIOS. That is why it was running at 1600 MHz, and there is a chance that it could help with the current issue.

It could possibly be the cause of the hgh temp readings as well. What monitor are you using?

The temp monitor is the BIOS's one, and flashing the BIOS is already to its latest.

Back
Top Bottom