Power surge (non USB) on external HD

pomme

Beta member
I accidentally used the wrong power pack (notebook's 19V) to power my 250GB external HD (which uses a 12V power supply). My PC is not recognizing the HD anymore. I suppose a power surge occurred. Is there anyway to fix this?

Thanks in advance

I accidentally used the wrong power pack (notebook's 19V) to power my 250GB external HD (which uses a 12V power supply). My PC is not recognizing the HD anymore. I suppose a power surge occurred. Is there anyway to fix this?

Thanks in advance

Sounds to me like you fried it. Not really anyway to fix it unless you can replace the fuse in it (if it even has a fuse). The HDD might still work, it might not.

Thanks for your reply. So does that mean that I will not be able to recover my backup data on the HDD?

You could try removing the HDD from the enclosure and installing it in a PC if you have one available. Then you can see if the drive is functioning correctly.

guys, thanks for all your replies.
If I remove it from its enclosure as GibsonSGKing said, can this in anyway affect the HDD if I want to send it for data recovery to some data recovery places?
It's just that it is something I have never done before..

Removing the drive from the enclosure wont hurt it. The only thing it will affect is the warranty. It will void the warranty simply by opening up the enclosure. Data recovery services can be expensive. If the drive is still functional, you should be able to recover your files while installed in another computer. You can even purchase a new enclosure for it if it checks out OK.

Yup, and in regards to the warranty, you already broke that when you plugged in the wrong adapter so you needed worry about that! Give it a shot and let us know if you get it to work. Depending on your computer and the hard drive, you might not have the appropriate connectors to hook up the HDD, in which case you can let us know and we'll help ya out there too!

Back
Top Bottom