New PSU

No I don't have another PSU to test, guess it really doesn't matter because even if something else is fried, I will need a new PSU anyways so it'd be the first part in a new rig lol.(let's just pray that's not the case)

Yeah. I have been sticking to single/dual rail PSUs for quite some time now.

And yes. You should see how much quick delivery is from NewEgg. I wouldn't shop at best buy unless someone had a gun to my head.

After having a six-rail PSU, I can fully agree with you. It's a huge pita to make sure everything is distributed evenly, and when it isn't, bad things happen.

The egg has gotten stuff to mh house next day before, even with ground shipping. Choose rush processing and order it asap, and you could have your PSU by sunday or monday.

No I don't have another PSU to test, guess it really doesn't matter because even if something else is fried, I will need a new PSU anyways so it'd be the first part in a new rig lol.(let's just pray that's not the case)

Lol I have seen cases destroyed by PSUs going.

Remember the dells with the plastic cases? They had like a 40w psu in thwm. If you stuck a LAN card in, the psu would explode into flames (no joke, the fire department got called to my school twice because of it) and will burn the plastic of the case.

Haha. I've had about 5 customers come in with fried PSUs. In every case, everything else was perfectly fine. It's all luck. It's all odd. Just assume that everything will be okay. If you really are worried about the other stuff, you could invest in a higher wattage/amperage PSU now and be future proofed (if you ever build a new rig you can just use the PSU you buy now).

Every part if your computer is vulnerable when the power supply goes. Most likely, everything is fine but there is a chance that it took something with it.

Reliable PSUs: antec, corsair, OCZ, cooler master, PC power & cooling, seasonic, and believe it or not, Rosewill...

I actually have a Rosewill in my main rig, and apart from the annoying blue LED's (I knew that ordering it though, since it looked good in my old rig. I guess it matches my CPU heatsink now though), it's keeping up excellently. Never had a single problem with it, and it runs cool and quiet. Cables are plenty long enough, and braided. Now, when I had 4 HDD's and 2 video cards in it started to get a little warm, but that's expected from a 550 watt PSU :p

I'd say try and get a nice PSU. Treat it like the tyres on a very nice car you own. The tyres are the only thing that make contact with Terra Firma and should be top quality and the same goes for a PSU as it supplies the rest of your equipment.

Get something nice for the price.

a 650w psu is way overkill for your system, there's no way your system is too much for a quality 400w or 450w psu, no way, my guess is that you psu was really old and it was just it's time or it was a low quality psu, your rig is not very power hungry, the 5770 uses about 80w by itself MAX (under furmark or other maxed out situations), an i7 system overclocked with a 5770 uses less than 300w at load (gaming, furmark, etc.) so I stand by my above statement, get a decent quality 400w-500w psu and you'll be fine, unless you plan on upgrading that video card anytime soon, though I would suspect that you just bought it and don't plan to upgrade...

this $70 ($60 after MIR) Corsair CMPSU-450w would definitely do the trick, 33 amps on a single 12v rail and sold by one of the most trusted distributors in the world, although there are literally dozens of good psus for you to choose from for even less than that if $ is a factor, the lowest priced, decent quality psu I found was an Antec Basiq 430w for around $40 shipped...

good luck...

there is chance I will crossfire in the future, bearing if there is no damage to anything in the computer right now. Then my process of buying for the future would be: PSU(obviously I NEED it), New CPU cooler, another 5770 or if by that time I could get a 5870 or something better than dual 5770's for the price, than I will do that.

Back
Top Bottom