New Build - Have at it guys!

There is very little difference between 32 and 16MB on a disk with such a small(ish) capacity. Heavy repetitive cache hits are extremely rare on modern drives.

Thanks Remeniz! I hadn't even thought of that!

So 3 hard drives. One for the OS and applications and the other two in RAID1 for all the important stuff.

And its easy to set up RAID on mobo's these days.

I'll leave you guys to decide on the drives....

:D

Maybe get a Bluray drive or something for movie watching?

Well, normally for client builds I wouldn't come here, however, I haven't been "in" on hardware for a few months and I know there is a lot of newer stuff on the market. I'm supposed to submit a few computer system proposals to one of my old clients as our small town (3,000 people)'s fire dept. got a grant for a new computer system (not running any emergency services or anything like that!). They'll be using it to file some online forms, type up documents, mess with pictures from local events...all that stuff.

BD not needed. I wouldn't want a BD drive on computer anyways. The software right now is crap.

So 3 hard drives. One for the OS and applications and the other two in RAID1 for all the important stuff.

And its easy to set up RAID on mobo's these days.

I'll leave you guys to decide on the drives....

:D

I was actually thinking of just 2 drives. I don't think we need to go over the top with 3. I'll just RAID1 them and then partition the O/S from the data like I did with my desktop. I don't think they will store super sensitive stuff on it anyways, but the redundancy is always a good idea.

If you are gonna RAID, you should really get a mobo with SB750.
Could you post one? It only needs to be mATX (ATX is okay, but not needed if it's more $$)

Also @foothead: What do you think about the WD 640GB I posted. Compared to the 1 platter 500GB Seagate (the 16MB version), how will it compare? Pretty evenly? I'm still tossing the coin on these two.

There's no need to fake RAID. Mobo's these days have decent on-board controllers that require very little CPU time, if any.

There's no need to fake RAID. Mobo's these days have decent on-board controllers that require very little CPU time, if any.

Well that's what I thought. I mean, fake RAID isn't the same as on-board RAID, I thought.

Back
Top Bottom