New Build - Have at it guys!

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Well, normally for client builds I wouldn't come here, however, I haven't been "in" on hardware for a few months and I know there is a lot of newer stuff on the market. I'm supposed to submit a few computer system proposals to one of my old clients as our small town (3,000 people)'s fire dept. got a grant for a new computer system (not running any emergency services or anything like that!). They'll be using it to file some online forms, type up documents, mess with pictures from local events...all that stuff.

It needs to be a complete system.
Monitor (19-22")
Speakers (nothing fancy. they can just be a one-pair set or 2.1)
Keyboard & mouse
Actual computer.

I've got computer cases at home that I just bought (a rosewill model, I believe). I haven't looked at the quality but assume we don't need to buy a computer case (unless you can find something VERY good for under $40 with free shipping).

I'm thinking AMD on this to get them the most bang for their buck. On board video (absolutely no need for a graphics card), and probably 4GB of RAM. I have an idea of what should go in it, but I'd like your feedback.

I need to submit a few different price points. Maybe one total system that costs $6-700 and another that costs $700-1,000 or so. That way I can explain the differences between the two systems for them.

Any input is great, guys! Thanks!

LOL I see no need for anything above an athlon II.

look for some 790X boards, they are getting very cheap right now.

I see absolutely nothing that warrants a $1000 rig.

Future proofing. I don't want this thing slowing down on these guys. I'm more for quality than just "getting" by. I always have been. Plus, even offering better systems, I'm cheaper than any competition.

It'll be more than an athlon II, I can tell you that.

Here's what I've got so far:
Board
CPU
RAM
HDD (I will see if they need more GB than that)
PSU
DVD

Total on the system: $544 (unless I added something wrong, this is after all rebates and including shipping).

Looks like an awesome build that will last a while. I'd cut back on the psu though. 650w is epic overkill.

Oh, and you might wanna change the hdd to the single platter 500GB 7200.12.

Hmm. I hadn't thought about single platter. I used to only go with Seagate in the beginning, but then I switched over to WD because they have a 5 year warranty instead of 3. Could you send a link to the HDD? I'd actually like some more suggestions in that area. I would also consider a 640GB with 2 platters (did I get that right? 2 x 320GB platters in one HDD?). I'd like to give them that option as well. And, last, is there a 1TB drive with 2 x 500GB platters? Or is that epicly expensive?

Only 16MB cache? How'll that balance out? (multiplatter high cache vs single platter low cache?)

If there's any important stuff that's to be stored on this machine it might be worth setting a RAID 1 array.

Only 16MB cache? How'll that balance out? (multiplatter high cache vs single platter low cache?)

It evens out well. The single platter drives typically do not need as much cache as they have much faster seek times.

If you want a reference of how fast these things are, I have seen benches where they beat a WD raptor by a good bit. Even my old models were right up there with the raptors.

Thanks Remeniz! I hadn't even thought of that!

@foothead: is there a big difference between 16MB and 32MB cache. I have heard arguments for both.

Is this a 2 x 320GB model?
Would seem to be the best of both worlds, since bumping up to the 500GB 32MB cache seagate would be only $5 cheaper.

EDIT: I just realized that wouldn't make sense since there would be another, second, platter. So maybe just going with the one you suggested may be okay. Hmmmm...

Back
Top Bottom