Building my first rig, got some ?'s

Minnesotacus

Solid State Member
ok heres the skinny i was going to build my first rig and i am not sure about which way to go on the processor. I was wondering if i should go with new phenom x6 or do i go with a similar priced intel one like the 17-930. i was just wondering if you guys had any thoughts on this. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

What will it be used for? For gaming, go phenom II 955 and use the extra money on GPU upgrades. i7 930 and P II (x4 or x6) perform similarly in games.

gaming and ill be going to school for digital photography and web design too, so pretty much for a lil bit of everything, im trying to stay as close to around 1000 buscks as i can but im willing to spend a lil more if need be, any suggestion on a video card mr card holder,lol

Lol well the best high-end price/performance card right now is the HD 5850. It is also one of the best overclocking cards I have seen, as long as you get a reference model.

So what I suggest is a visiontek or diamond 5850, flashed to asus 5870 BIOS.

With a $1000 budget, you should get nothing less than a 5850. Having a better CPU will not do crap for your gaming performance if it is badly GPU bottlenecked.

This is true to an extent, but it also depends on the resolution he is playing at and the games he plays. He also said that its also going to be used for a lot of things so it really is dependent on what his monitor is, what games he plays, and what other software he will run and things he will be doing for school. I think that 3/10th of his total budget on a graphics card may not really be necessary though if he is only playing WOW Left4Dead and Counterstrike on a 19" screen.

personally i'd say the 5770 will play every game at max settings even on 1920x1080 (apart from Crysis, that gets 40fps with max settings and 1080 resolution) - well this does with me anyway

i think im just gonnna go with the 5770, but i still dont know which way to go on the processor since the 965 and the 1055t are only $20 apart in price

really is the 1055t even worth it should i be asking myself whether or not i want the 955 or the 965

Well each has their benefits honestly... The differences are obviously the 1055t is a 6core while the other 2 are quads... But to me the major difference is the 955 and 965 are black editions which means unlocked multipliers. From what I have seen the 965 actually outperforms the 1055t in almost every gaming application and comes pretty close to it in most other benchmarks. The only thing it really got beat by that much was the cinebench multithreaded application benchmark which is pretty obvious because it has 2 more full cores. I think newegg also has a 15 dollar promotional gift card with the 965 and a 10 dollar one with the 955 which makes them cheaper as well. I honestly would stick with the 965 at the moment unless you can afford to hop up to the 1090t which is a black edition.

Back
Top Bottom