Car Thread!

I have to drive on blocks to raise my car an inch to get the jack underneath. Despite being lowered, it doesn't sit all that low.

It's a first car, so I can't complain. Just did a few things to make it more fun to drive, mostly in suspension.

Well I have to give credit to Ford for their decisions lately. I've hated the last few years of the Mustang so much. Now if I had the money I'd seriously consider a 2011 Mustang GT.

Their new V6 has just shy the horse power of their old V8.. it's awesome. I would strongly consider a 2011 Mustang V6 personally, since 305 HP is plenty for me, and 31 MPG on the high way is really good considering the power.

Yep. Dollar for dollar, you can't go wrong with the Miata.

My friend found a '94 Miata rag top for $1800 with 129k miles on it. It took just a little bit of work to get it running smoothly, great fun that car is.
Other than a few dents, it's in great shape (Rag top was replaced last year, so that is perfect.)

It has the 1.8 engine in case you are wondering, supposedly it has some "R" package as well that gives it a bit more umph, but doesn't have AC.

The Taurus SHO has AWD, which is probably why it's still slower and only gets 17/25 city/highway, compared to the V6 Mustang which is RWD only but gets 20/31 city/highway

Still, just over 6 seconds in a 0-60 for the new Taurus SHO is pretty sweet. The AWD is pretty appealing since I live in a state that gets snow, but the Mustang has better mileage and faster 0-60 of 5.1 seconds (though 0-60 times really aren't all THAT important to me)

Though I would probably look like less of a douche in a Taurus as compared to a Mustang.

MikeReiner said:
Their new V6 has just shy the horse power of their old V8.. it's awesome. I would strongly consider a 2011 Mustang V6 personally, since 305 HP is plenty for me, and 31 MPG on the high way is really good considering the power.

Yeah, the V6 is definitely the biggest improvement, but I just can't deny that Five-Oh. :D

MikeReiner said:
My friend found a '94 Miata rag top for $1800 with 129k miles on it. It took just a little bit of work to get it running smoothly, great fun that car is.
Other than a few dents, it's in great shape (Rag top was replaced last year, so that is perfect.)

It has the 1.8 engine in case you are wondering, supposedly it has some "R" package as well that gives it a bit more umph, but doesn't have AC.

Yep. They're pretty cheap, reliable and easy to maintain.

Yeah, the 1990-93 models (NA6) had the 1.6-litre B6ZE inline-four and the 1994-97 (NA8) was equipped with the 1.8-litre BP inline-four. Right now I'm looking for a 94/95 NA since it's equipped with the 1.8-litre and has a bunch of additional revisions done to it to make it a more complete car. Also, don't forget that 94/95 are still OBDI while the 96/97's were OBDII. :D Easier to tune and gain power from the engine.

As for the R-Package, the main additions were sportier Bilstein shocks and the front/rear R-package lips on the bumpers. The only under-hood changes was the exclusion of power steering.

Atomic Rooster said:
Look out Mustang, the lowly Ford Taurus is sporting 365HP from it's SHO V6.

Eh, too bad the SHO is AWD and such a porker. I do like the design though...definitely the best looking Taurus to date.

The back of the Taurus is ugly IMO. Front looks good though. And my god, it is a huge car.

Speaking of Miatas, my friend just picked up some sway bars for his NA6 (Eibach I think). Improved handling a bit, but he's still on stock springs and struts. Those are next in line to be replaced.

His plans so far are:

Tein Basic coilovers
Cage
Racing seats+harness
Boost

These cars are a lot of fun stock, it won't take too much power to make it even more fun.

Nice. Yeah, I'm planning on going with some Koni Sport shocks and Flyin' Miata springs and just replace the front sway bar. The roads aren't in the best condition here in the Bay so I'd rather have something slightly softer to adhere to the road rather than bounce all over the place.

Is your friend planning on racing Spec Miata? A rollcage is really unnecessary even for Spec. Just get a Hard Dog Hard Core bar and save some money.

He's not gonna race Spec. He said cage, but I'm sure it's gonna be the Hard Dog or something similar.

A lot of our back roads actually aren't that bad, but some are rough. I'm still on the fence between coilovers and springs/struts, but I'll decide after I have the car. :p

Back
Top Bottom