CPU idles at 31-34C should I OC?

killthenakedcat

In Runtime
OK guys the new builds up and running now with Win 7 and all that jazz. The CPU idles at 31-34C should I attempt to overclock? I have the stock cooler on the Phenom II x4 955 BE and I understand I probably wouldnt be able to OC much if anything at all. Should I attempt to do a little OC'ing or should I wait to get a good air cooler or a corsair H50? Also is it better to do the tweaking in the BIOS or should I just use ASUS's turboV utility?

what do u suggest is the best way to check load temp?

also MB is 31C however under each core it says 0C for each under core temp and everest...in ASUS's utility it says 34C any reason for that?

You should look into getting a better cooler. When the OEM cooler ramps up, it makes a horrendous whine. Not real loud, but very annoying.

A great cooler to try would be the XIGMATEK Dark Knight. I put one on a X4 955 system I recently built. I haven't checked to see what the loads temps are like, but it idles around 26° - 28°C. It's also very quiet.

Run this bad boy to see what your load temps are like: Furmark

Use CoreTemp to measure the temps.

And run Prime95 to stress the cores. The 64 bit version is available via a link on that page.

Report back with the load temps while stressing.

the GPU gets to 71C my CPU gets to 42C and MB gets to 46C when I run Furmark

I'm in the process of running prime95 right now and am in the 3rd 15 minute session. So far he the hottest the CPU has gotten is 51C under the constant 100% load.

OK the hottest it got was 52C under prime95 blended tests. Sorry for the late response, I lost Internet connection around 1 am or so and got it back around 8:30 pm.

I got it to 3.7Ghz raising the CPU frequency to 230mhz and the CPU voltage to 1.45. The computer now idles at 36C. Should I go any higher, this is the first time I have OC'd so I really don't know.

Ok, now my PSU blew. I heard a pop and smelled something, googled it and tested the PSU with a voltmeter and smelled it, something in there fried and it is dead, kinda sucks eh?

I got it to 3.7Ghz raising the CPU frequency to 230mhz and the CPU voltage to 1.45. The computer now idles at 36C. Should I go any higher, this is the first time I have OC'd so I really don't know.

Idle temps really aren't important when they're this low. What you need to do is ensure the OC is stable and the stress temps are within limit.

So Prime95 while watching the load temps.

Ok, now my PSU blew. I heard a pop and smelled something, googled it and tested the PSU with a voltmeter and smelled it, something in there fried and it is dead, kinda sucks eh?

Ouch. I'll move on to the associated thread... >>>

Back
Top Bottom