HTPC is killing my power cords!

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hey guys,
My HTPC runs fairly well, and recently I gave it a new Thermaltake PSU.
But, for the second time, it has stopped turning on (or in fact receiving power at all - the ethernet port usually lights up when it has power). And, for the second time, it's been a case of swapping the AC power cord!

I've never had AC power cords die before, so is it just a coincidence that it has happened twice on the same computer? I doubt it. Could it be the power board ?

-Rhys

Hey guys,
My HTPC runs fairly well, and recently I gave it a new Thermaltake PSU.
But, for the second time, it has stopped turning on (or in fact receiving power at all - the ethernet port usually lights up when it has power). And, for the second time, it's been a case of swapping the AC power cord!

I've never had AC power cords die before, so is it just a coincidence that it has happened twice on the same computer? I doubt it. Could it be the power board ?

-Rhys
There's no way the computer fried the power cord. The most possible explanation I can think of is that the connector on the PSU is bending the connections in the cord?

My brother used to have a Tt PSU, and the plug on the back was oddly loose. The cord would slowly slip farther back until it made no connection. Any chance this is the case?

If not, then it is something I have never heard of. The only way the power cord would fry from the psu is if it draws way more current than the cord is rated for. Standard PC power cords can carry 15 amps iirc, so this is not the case.

Are there any sharp bends in it?

My brother used to have a Tt PSU, and the plug on the back was oddly loose. The cord would slowly slip farther back until it made no connection. Any chance this is the case?

If not, then it is something I have never heard of. The only way the power cord would fry from the psu is if it draws way more current than the cord is rated for. Standard PC power cords can carry 15 amps iirc, so this is not the case.

Are there any sharp bends in it?

Yeah, it would have to pull an insane amount of amperage to fry the cord.

And maybe it's the outlet killing it?

My mistake. This time, it wasn't the power cord.
It was the first time though, which is very strange.

I suspect the motherboard has died, this time. The PSU is only a few months old and it's a good quality PSU. The motherboard has been problematic for a while, though.

Thanks for your help,
-Rhys

My mistake. This time, it wasn't the power cord.
It was the first time though, which is very strange.

I suspect the motherboard has died, this time. The PSU is only a few months old and it's a good quality PSU. The motherboard has been problematic for a while, though.

Thanks for your help,
-Rhys

Thermaltake PSUs are usually terrible quality. Have you actually tested the PSU?

Back
Top Bottom