Going to Florida this summer.. but there's a problem

Car: 2001 Honda Civic EX 136k miles

Recent problems:

Transmission died, replaced(2/15/10) at 133k miles. Starter was replaced at the same time (Cost about $3000)
Car jerked randomly and check engine light came on one day, had to replace crankshaft position sensor and top dead center sensor (Cost $300)

Current problems:

Leaks small puddles of oil when left sitting.
Coolant vanishing. Coolant is pushed to the top of the reservoir after about a 30min drive, all signs point to blown head gasket.

Worst thing is I owe $9000 because the cost of the transmission and starter replacement was added to what I owed on the car. (I just bought the damn thing last september)

I don't want to take this car to florida and be stranded + pay a huge fee to get it towed back home.

Car: 2001 Honda Civic EX 136k miles

Recent problems:

Transmission died, replaced(2/15/10) at 133k miles. Starter was replaced at the same time (Cost about $3000)
Car jerked randomly and check engine light came on one day, had to replace crankshaft position sensor and top dead center sensor (Cost $300)

Current problems:

Leaks small puddles of oil when left sitting.
Coolant vanishing. Coolant is pushed to the top of the reservoir after about a 30min drive, all signs point to blown head gasket.

Worst thing is I owe $9000 because the cost of the transmission and starter replacement was added to what I owed on the car. (I just bought the damn thing last september)

I don't want to take this car to florida and be stranded + pay a huge fee to get it towed back home.
For $500... that would barely cover gas if you even had a car. Save some more money. A trip to Florida is going to cost around $2000 for the two of you.

If you want a cheap reliable car, get a Crown Victoria. I see them around here, 2005 Crown Victoria, 110k miles, $1800. Ex police cars. Beat on like crazy, but reliable...

Im a local Floridian at your service! Anything you need help with ask me, about the money issue, I dunno. But if you want to know the best beaches or what to actually do in Florida, just ask. (You might just want to save the misery and just fly here)

It probably runs a D16, which are fairly high compression motors, so I'd pretty much agree on the blown head gasket idea. The D15 y7 we had in the '92 hatchie was always, and I mean ALWAYS blowing gaskets which would in turn be burning all the coolant (irony). We could always tell because it constantly smelled like AntiFreeze and there was always a nice trail of white smoke. Then the head, itself, got warped because he never had the money to replace the gasket when it blew. I think that it was always shifted too high. [/offtopic]

So, buy a heavy duty gasket and some ARP head-studs (I think they are pretty much the best) and wrench it in.

For the oil, have you looked at the pan? Pretty much all Hondas ride low, even stock, and certain impacts can really screw up the pan.

I took the train from Rockymount NC to New Orleans in a seat car something like a plane for just over 100.00 with tax and all meals. On the round trip run from Baton Rouge to Atlanta I had a private room for 240.00 with tax and all meals. Next time is going to be a sleeper bearth.
The food is amazingly good and the stewards/conductors are some nice people.
Take the train if you're strapped for cash. It's fun and romantic.

Back
Top Bottom