Rant.

Let's rewind my career path shall we! My first job (Early 2009) was at a telemarketing company doing,telemarketing for $8 an hour,3 days a week,$168 a week. Now i hated telemarketing with a passion. At this company (At the time) there was only me,another telemarketer,receptionist and the boss. As the company expanded they realised they needed someone to look after the IT side of things. I Was then approached and asked if i could do this and then once my existing contract ran out,my pay would go up.

Fast forward to September 2009,the company had expanded to 10 employee's (15 Pc's,30 different databases,3 printers,1 server). My roles were maintaining and updating all of the databases with Phone numbers,adress's and name per each client we phoned for,maintaining backups,onsite support,managing emails,etc,etc. It was an 8:30 start to 6:30 finish,still at $8 an hour,no work contract,treated with no respect from the boss and the place was completely and utterly unorganized.

I Approached the boss and asked for that promised pay rise (I Only wanted $13 an hour) and i was refused on the basis of the company cant afford it but ask again in 2 weeks, this went on for a month.

One day at work i was sitting at my computer just finishing up a database and my boss starts yelling at me for something i did not do and then made a personal remark about my mum,now i didnt provoke her to say that. So i pretty much told her where to shove my job and walked out.

A week later i was working at GAME As a junior sales assistant,6 days a week,$9 an hour,$300 a week and 20% everything instore (With Conditions though). At this time i didnt have my own transport so i had to rely on other people for transport,so i'd leave home at 7am and get home at 6pm at night,even though my hours were 9:00 to 5:30. The job was alright,infact if i had my own car and if i could have toned the days down to 5 days a week i probably would have kept the job! 4 Weeks into the job i had to quit due to personal reasons. I Remained jobless for one months because i had plenty of savings to fall back on and had no bills whatsoever.

So in jan this year i was approached by that telemarketing company,was apologiesd to and literally was begged to come back on a pay rate of $14.20 an hour. Nieve me decided why not,completely forgetting about the fact that nothing was organized and the fact that my boss will be nice to you for the first week and then you are treated with no respect for the rest of.So i lasted a month until it started making me physically sick (Stress,lack of sleep) so i resigned again and i havn't heard anything from them since.

Now even though i have a PC Repair business on my own,i feel i would be incapable of running a succesful PC repair business and i only get the odd job here and there,far from enough to make a living!

So i have been jobless for 2 months now, though this time i have bills to pay;

$70 a week on car repayments
$20 on Phone ($80 a month plan)
$20 Petrol a week

For the first month it was fine,i had my savings to fall back on. Now im starting to default on my repayments and im already overdue on one phone bill.

Being jobless and in debt has taught me alot. For one,even though you have a job today,doesn't mean it's going to be there tommorow,so you should never over commit yourself financially and you should save save save! Managing money has never been my strong point but im going to have to force myself to save as much as i can.

Also that you shouldnt get too close to your employer,never.

Now i also realised that i shouldnt be picky when it comes to employment. When i first started looking for employment i was only looking for jobs that 'appealed' to me. Now that i have bills to be paid and money owing,i have realised that it's no joke and i literally need any job. So i have been applying to any job i meet the criteria too in the newspaper and on the internet. I have also been leaving my resumes at all the factories and shops within 20km of here.

Things are starting to lookup though,i have a second interview with australia post on wednesday for a postman job. 5 Days a week (10am to 3pm) with $19.80 an hour pay,after tax about $450 a week (This pay rate goes up every year).

Now im not whinging,im just putting expressing my thoughts. I Know some of you will have it worse than me but expressing you thoughts helps alot.

/rant

wow lolm that boss seemed liek a bitch :/ but at least you were able to get a job, I on the other hand cant get/ find a job for my life! any job, absolutely any job possibly is a good job in my town, luckily tho I ONLY need to pay lodge - whch i pay from my uni loans which again is a good thing :)

but for the next 4 months im gonna be jobless, and no money comign in - and i cant find a job, its like a nightmare here and good luck with your next interview :)

Well i've been there a few times many years ago though. And like you I learnt the hard way. I had 2 different cars every year up until 2007 when I had to sell my last. Nothing was mine, it was all on finance/credit/loan. At the time I thought it was great until I lost my job in Dec/06.

Now? Well I have my own car. It's parked up at the moment cause it needs a small amount of work. It ain't a Supra turbo but no one can take it from me cause it's mine. I have a nice computer and studio pieces. It's all mine. I have a pay&go mobile that's 5 years old but it works and it's mine.

I sleep better now than when I was working dead end jobs and to be honest i'm being very fussy about where I apply for a job. And until I get a job i'll do what ever I can to make a buck or two.

Work to live. Do not live to work cause that's when s**t will hit the fan.

Good luck with the job interview.

well i wanna move out from my house, but i NEED a job for that but also its a right hole that im in, as if i were to share with friends, they will most likely share with their bf/ gf :/ so its a bit hard atm, but ive got another 2 years to get my own place - (i'd die if i kept with my parents for another 2 years)

Sometimes, when you're in debt, you have to look somewhere else when you can't find a job in your department.

Listen, I've been jobless since January of this year, I've applied to countless jobs, high to low...all I got was 2 interviews. I got bills to pay too!

It's up to a point that I'm going nuts and losing my mind on that thing. But I just keep applying.

I wish you luck on that job bud, and remember; when you need money, prepare to look somewhere else other than your work field, because it could help a lot. Also, when you want to switch jobs, look for a job, and then leave yours.

Do not leave to look for a job, because you could end up in a nasty situation again.

That's why you don't quit a job until you have another job lined up. Even if you hate it, at least you can still pay your bills and don't have to worry about losing your stuff. Good luck on the Post office job though.
+1. It may seem harsh, but sometimes life is tough - and often you've just got to stick with it even if you hate the thing to pay the bills! Hopefully you've learnt that much :)

I'd also throw another one in there - a job that pays the bills and that you enjoy is definitely one worth holding onto; even if a better paid job comes up down the line. There were a number of higher paid jobs I could've applied to, but instead I decided to go for the one I thought I'd get the most out of, enjoy the most and be the happiest at. It's probably one of the best decisions I've made!

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;1033193 said:
That's why you don't quit a job until you have another job lined up. Even if you hate it, at least you can still pay your bills and don't have to worry about losing your stuff. Good luck on the Post office job though.

I agree. Just lucky you only have a very small amount of bills to pay.

I Realise this now. I Wish i had of known this before i quit,though im pretty sure i have this job :)

Well i've been there a few times many years ago though. And like you I learnt the hard way. I had 2 different cars every year up until 2007 when I had to sell my last. Nothing was mine, it was all on finance/credit/loan. At the time I thought it was great until I lost my job in Dec/06.
Luckily im currently still too young (17) to take out loans/credit otherwise im pretty sure i would have done the excact same thing,instead i have just borrowed money off other peole which in some cases is just as stupid.

Work to live. Do not live to work cause that's when s**t will hit the fan.
+1

I agree. Just lucky you only have a very small amount of bills to pay.

This is very true,i cant imagine what it would be like to have a mortgage on a house to pay off and look after a family with no job but sadly it happends all too often.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Check with local hotels for a desk clerk position. It's a no brainer job and the money's ok. You just have to be cool under fire and have good communication skills.
Just don't make the mistake of telling any one you know any thing about computers (other than knowing how to use them) or you'll never hear the end of it.

Back
Top Bottom