New aquarium - opinions?

Well, when you consider how much some of them salties go for these days, I can see why they would take them to a fish doc. . .

Mine had hole in the head, but we got that taken care of with meds. I had a pair of "rosey" or "red" oscars. :D

Hole in the head is caused by excessive nitrates. It Usually means the tank was too small and water changes were not performed enough.

On a 55g tank, you should do a 50% water change at least once a week.

Red oscars are pretty, I had one a long time ago, but it died during a 2 week power outage after a hurricane.

I wasn't as diligent as I should have been at times. They used to "play" with my kids. He would put his hand on the end of the tank and the oscar would rush on over, then he would run to the other end, do the same thing and the oscar would "chase" him.

Guy working at petco said he had a grey smoothhound in his 40g tall.

The smallest baby smoothhound would still be too large for that tank. They require about 1000 gallons.

To be honest, it took me a lot of trys to get fish not to die. For a while I couldn't figure out why my fish kept on dying. It was depressing lol. But After learning my ways through I've have my current fish alive for 6 months now. But Im deploying soon so there aren't going to make it after 2 months :/
All my fish has been tropical fish. And I have 1 small Pleco, and yeah a 20G I heard is to small for a Pleco but I have small freakin Pleco

I'm sure you could find a local fish shop that could take them. That's what I did with my oscar and convict cichlid when I moved.

Yep, bring it to a pet store *Not a big chain store* and ask them to make sure it goes to a good home. My pet store has a 300g tank full of huge cichlids that people have brought back. It isn't too unusual.

Lol and 20g is very small for a pleco. I used to have some that were 2 feet long.

Btw what do you all think of modding my 55g tank into a 5 foot L tank? It would hold 112 gallons when it is done, versus the ~50 that it actually hoLds right now.

Back
Top Bottom