New aquarium - opinions?

oh I guess thats why mine was miserable in my 20g :(
And thats right I didnt read the salt part. I suck at reading everything on posts lol

Yea, a 20 gallon tank is way small for Oscars. I had a pair in a 55 gallon tank and even that seems a bit on the small side.

oh I guess thats why mine was miserable in my 20g :(

Oh my gosh. You need 70 gallons per fish for Oscars. These fish need it for the bioload and so they can even move. I used to have one in my 135g until my green terror killed it.

My friend had one in a 55g tank, and it required 25% water changes twice a week to keep the nitrates under control.

What's sad is they sell Oscars at WalMart without any warning on how big they can get and their tank requirements.

I didn't realize having fish was such serious business. Precisely why I would opt for the "no pets" option.

The firefish looks pretty awesome.

What's sad is they sell Oscars at WalMart without any warning on how big they can get and their tank requirements.

The SPCA shut down fish selling at my wal mart. there were always dead fish decaying in the tanks.

Petsmart tells people that they can keep an oscar in a 29 gallon tank, and they know that people will stretch that as much as possible. If they say 30 gallons, most people that buy the fish are gonna put it in a 20. They just do not care about the fish, they just wanna make money. I bet that only 5% of the fish they sell live 2 years.

Well, to most people, fish are...like putting plants in your kitchen. If you forget to water them, it's ok. You can just buy more for cheap.

This isn't my view, but it is the view of pretty much everyone I know that had fish.

Well, to most people, fish are...like putting plants in your kitchen. If you forget to water them, it's ok. You can just buy more for cheap.

This isn't my view, but it is the view of pretty much everyone I know that had fish.

Yep, I see that all too much as well, and it is kinda disturbing.

There are a few people who actually care about there fish though. I have actually seen people take their fish to the vet for surgery. Of course, finding a vet who will work on a fish is difficult, but there are a few.

Back
Top Bottom