New aquarium - opinions?

foothead

Omnicide now.
So, I decided to have another go at a saltwater tank after my brother overfed ll of the fish in my last attempt to death. The tank I will be using is an 18 gallon tall with an aquatech 30-60 filter. I m a little stuck as far as stocking list, so I need some opinions.

Here are the options:

Option 1: 2 Ocellaris clownfish.

clownfish_4.jpg

Option 2: 1 yellowtail damselfish,

YellowTail.JPG

1 purple stripe dottyback,

TLF703095_60153

1 ocellaris clownfish (see option 1 for pic)

Option 3: 1 yellow clown goby,

yelgobyleswwm.jpg

2 firefish,

firefish.jpg

...coninued in next post...

...continued...

1 Orange stripe cardinalfish

ApogonProperuptus8721a.jpg

YAY! I finally finished making this thread!

Can mod please add tht missing 'a'? My keyboard is on the fritz right now.

Re: New quarium - opinions?

well clowns should not really be in anything less than a 20 or 30 gallon but could still work (i keep mine in a 20 with 8 ib of rock, along with a chromis and some other random stuff). best thing besides that would be a firefish.

well clowns should not really be in anything less than a 20 or 30 gallon but could still work (i keep mine in a 20 with 8 ib of rock, along with a chromis and some other random stuff). best thing besides that would be a firefish.

That is a misconception in most cases. The tank size that people say clowns need is related to the bioload, not necessarily tank size. If I have an 18g tank with a 360 gph pump, filtering through 3-stage bio filtration with a protein skimmer, the clowns will do much better than they would in a 30g with the bare minimum that the petsmart guy said you can have.

Trust me, I know what I am doing here. I have seen people keep clowns in a 5 gallon tank, and they did amazing, because he kept it completely clean and had epic filtration.

I would go with a nice mix of all the above except the yellow clown goby. It looks to be the less interesting of the fish and would seem a redundant addition in regards to the firefish and dottyback.

I would go with a nice mix of all the above except the yellow clown goby. It looks to be the less interesting of the fish and would seem a redundant addition in regards to the firefish and dottyback.

Thanks. I would rather not have the clowns or the damsel with the smaller fsh though. They are known to get territorial at times, and I want them to be with fish that can stand up for themselves.

If you get them all young, they should learn to like each other as they grow up. I've seen clowns get along well with the smaller guys.

If you get them all young, they should learn to like each other as they grow up. I've seen clowns get along well with the smaller guys.

That is not always the case though. If I had them in a larger tank, it would not be nearly as big an issue, but an 18 tall has the same footprint as a standard 10g, so there really is not much room for territory wars. What I am afraid of is one large fish claiming the entire bottom of the tank, or at least a large chunk of it, then going after everything that gets near it.

This is going to be a saltwater tank CrackerJacker. An Oscar is a freshwater fish. Besides, keeping an Oscar in a small 18 gallon tank would be a bad thing. They need lots of room to grow and be happy.

Back
Top Bottom