Should I overclock with EasyTune 6's Easy Boost?

Sanny

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I want to overclock my Processor so it can run calculations and processes faster, its an AMD Phenom 9950 X4 Black Edition, from what i've heard this is an excellent processor to overclock, my friend managed to overclock his somewhere beyond 4.7GHz which is quite fast. Mine runs at 2.6GHz.
I haven't had any experience in Overclocking and I have googled to see if EasyTune 6 was a reliable software for OC'ing but other people were saying you should do it with BIOS but I have no experience in tweaking with the BIOS :|
I'll upload some pictures of the specs on EasyTune and SpeedFan, to see if you guys think I should go ahead using EasyTune 6 for OC'ing.
iep6rq.jpg

of3gbs.jpg

vh46tf.jpg

10fs4tk.jpg

Should I do it or not :/ ?

Hey guys, I want to overclock my Processor so it can run calculations and processes faster, its an AMD Phenom 9950 X4 Black Edition, from what i've heard this is an excellent processor to overclock, my friend managed to overclock his somewhere beyond 4.7GHz which is quite fast. Mine runs at 2.6GHz.
I haven't had any experience in Overclocking and I have googled to see if EasyTune 6 was a reliable software for OC'ing but other people were saying you should do it with BIOS but I have no experience in tweaking with the BIOS :|
I'll upload some pictures of the specs on EasyTune and SpeedFan, to see if you guys think I should go ahead using EasyTune 6 for OC'ing.

An AMD Phenom 9950 X4 Black Edition running at 4.7Ghz!?!?! Great scott! Is he running it on LN2???

Cause even if its the very best air cooler I struggle to believe that your mate has it running more than 4.0Ghz let alone 4.7Ghz.

Anyways, to get a nice stable OC you really need to be doing it in the BIOS. So ditch the EasyTune and SpeedFan. Download CoreTemp and CPUZ. Study your Gigabyte motherboard BIOS and how to navigate around it. It really isn't that hard.

And give us your system specifications cause it would help a lot.

An AMD Phenom 9950 X4 Black Edition running at 4.7Ghz!?!?! Great scott! Is he running it on LN2???

Cause even if its the very best air cooler I struggle to believe that your mate has it running more than 4.0Ghz let alone 4.7Ghz.
Haha yeah, the thing is it only lasted for a month until it got frazzled.

Anyways, to get a nice stable OC you really need to be doing it in the BIOS. So ditch the EasyTune and SpeedFan. Download CoreTemp and CPUZ. Study your Gigabyte motherboard BIOS and how to navigate around it. It really isn't that hard.

And give us your system specifications cause it would help a lot.
Okay thanks,

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name USER-0C442111E2
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model GA-MA770-UD3
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~2605 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F5h, 24/02/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB

Does that help or do you want the full specifications of the whole computer?

Premium ATX Midi Tower Case
Corsair 750Watt PSU
Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
AMD Phenomâ„¢ 9950 Quad-Core 2.6GHz 4MB Cache
Coolermaster Hyper TX2 Fan
Samsung 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz
750GB 7200RPM SATA II
Samsung SH-S223 22x DVD RW Black SATA
BFG NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 OC 1GB

Increased Multiplier from x13 to x15 (2.6 to 3.0GHz) with 0.006V increase, thats safe yeah?
Whats the recommended Clock Speed to overclock to with this processor?
29nca44.jpg

Haha i tried to do it with 3.2GHz but the Computer just BSOD'd so i'll just keep it at 3.0GHz thats good enough for me ;)
Thanks for the help Remeniz, if I run into any problems i'll report back here xD

43C on system boot, 47C on desktop after running 4 hours, 52-59C while playing GTAIV on Ultra settings.
Not bad, little concerned about the 59C but aslong as it doesnt go over 60C its fine

please do it in bios. the only reason to use a windows software is to boot into windows at a stable clock then raise it using easytune for benchmarks like superpi.

Back
Top Bottom