Blast from the Past Upgrade !

marcmarteleira

In Runtime
Hey all, I have a cheap computer I bought for 200 bucks with a 19" LCD, I know my fair share about computers, I currently have a Intel P4 3.2GHz Prescott with HT, a AsRock p4i65g, 1 GB of ram and a GeForce 5500 FX.

As far as upgrades go, I was planning on buying a new stylish case from my friend at a cheap price as he was getting a new one and it has room for 5 fans, I'm planning on buying a socket 478 PCI-E mobo (http://www.amazon.com/Biostar-NVIDIA-Motherboard-MCP6P-M2/dp/B000TM96E0) for 50 bucks, this mobo supports DDR2, I would also be buying 2x2GB of RAM, and then either a PCI-E GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB GDDR3, as it being PCI-e would allow faster video transfer and my CPU won't bottleneck the video card, or I can buy a video card towards a future new system and throw it in my PC for now, but I know it will give me less performance.

I don't play a lot of games, but I do have a list of them I would play if my computer could handle them.

Now, all that in total is going to set me back $250-300 bucks not including the case, would it be worth my time to just save up 1200$ for a new system completely? I plan on using the RAM that I buy for this PC and possibly video card on my new system for a cheap fix to pass the time.

If I invest in a new system, I'm thinking I may aswell go for a Core i7 because they're the fastest, but at wanting the most bang for buck aswell, I can buy a 3.0GHz Core 2 Duo and OC it, or buy a Core 2 Quad 2.80GHz and OC it aswell, though I'm expecting better numbers from the Core 2 Duo for some reason. Any suggestions?

Do not waste your money on such an old system. The only parts that you could transfer over are the case and optical drives. The psu and hard drives are most likely el cheapo and would not hold up to a newer mid-high end system.

Btw, You do not need to spend $1200 for a new build. I have built taming systems on a $500 budget before, and they are pretty awesome.

core i3 kicks but pretty good, my dad's work computer for an i-tem project was a brand new panisonic toughbook, its i3 kicked but a 1280x800 on gmod and HL2, portal even works on it at, emm, mid res? Portal doesn't really work well on anything but an Xbox...

core i3 kicks but pretty good, my dad's work computer for an i-tem project was a brand new panisonic toughbook, its i3 kicked but a 1280x800 on gmod and HL2, portal even works on it at, emm, mid res? Portal doesn't really work well on anything but an Xbox...

Portal is not a demanding game at all?

1200 dollars was a budget price for a nice Core i7 setup ^^ I prefer the best of the best, but what processor would I be best off with for a nice build of about 500 dollars that I can keep adding upgrades to as I go along? I want to eventually have a TB of space, 8GB of ram and 2 SLI vid cards, 512 mb or 1gb, and how much of a difference does GDDR ram make?

Thank you all for your responses !

Get a single high end card, it will do you better at the moment, 6gb of ddr3 RAM is good atm if you want you can switch to a AMD/ATI set up and Get some better Price/Performance.

Totally not worth what you paid. Not even $200. IMO, any computer older than 4 or 5 years (depending on specs) is worth $0. Don't pour any more money into it.

Back
Top Bottom