Need a wireless bridge...and advice on how to network it with existing setup!

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Well, if any of you have kept up with very spaced out updates on the projector project at my church, we are on the home stretch. I'm going to install the screen tomorrow and then after that it's all hardware stuff to work with.

I'm currently putting a fresh install of XP on an old Celeron Socket 370 (433mhz) to run remote desktop on (to run the powerpoints for the service).

Anywho, we have an existing router that is by the DSL modem. I took my laptop up to where the projector will be and I have all 5 bars on my WiFi so it's a great, strong signal up to where the bridge will need to be.

I'm not sure what to do from here though. I need recommendations for a wireless bridge. Here's the layout:

Router 1 (existing router)
----wireless connection---->>>> Wireless bridge (unknown at this point) ------>>>>Remote desktop (and thus to the projector).

We have a laptop that we will use to control the remote desktop (hence the need for the wireless bridge).

Can anyone point me to a wireless bridge that's like $50-60?

I'm going to try to jury rig it first. I've got a Rosewill USB wireless N adapter and I'm going to see how the connection is with that and if it's decent, then I won't need a bridge.

Let me elaborate. The new router needs to be a bridge, not an access point. From what someone on here told me before, an access point still needs a wired internet connection. What I need is a WIRELESS internet connection from the Router 1 to the Bridge Router. So, from what I understand is that there is a difference between an access point and a bridge. And I need the latter.

An access point can be wirelessly "connected" to a wireless router. In fact, all you really need to do is purchase another wireless router and configure it to be an access point that receives it's dhcp from wireless router 1.
If I understand you, you want extend Router 1's wireless signal farther by adding another wireless AP at a place where the signal weakens. An AP will do this, using the same SSID, but letting Router 1 do all the DHCP duties.
A bridge is typically used to connect 2 buildings together wirelessly, but in each building all computers are hardwired with ethernet. So usually the only devices that are wireless are the 2 devices utilized to create the bridge, because their wireless capabilities are only used to create the bridge. No computers can connect via wireless. Make sense?
Going the AP route in your case, is the way to go. If you need help, PM me and I'll be glad to help you with configurations. You might also consider looking at third-party firmware for your routers such as DD-WRT. They provide a lot more tools for configuring what you want than the basic stuff the routers come with.

Ah! That totally makes since now!

And yes, you did understand correctly. We want to connect a 2nd router that will receive its internet connection wireless from Router 1. It will then be used to hardwire a remote desktop (which will run our projector) and another classroom desktop. In addition, it would boost the wireless signal of Router 1.

With this in my, I'm thinking of choosing this (thanks AR!). Would it be sufficient? We aren't a real high-key operation so it needs to be under $50 and Wireless N.

Seems to me like it would work just fine. It all depends on what options are available in the gui of the access point. But since it is literally an access point, I'd venture to say the odds are in your favor to set it up the way you want. :) Good luck with it. Again, if you have any problems let us know ... or PM if you want.

Seems to me like it would work just fine. It all depends on what options are available in the gui of the access point. But since it is literally an access point, I'd venture to say the odds are in your favor to set it up the way you want. :) Good luck with it. Again, if you have any problems let us know ... or PM if you want.

Awesome! I appreciate it!

The "classroom desktop" will also be hardwired?

You know, you could get another TRENDnet TEW-652BRP and set it up as a wireless bridge or access point. That way you could connect multiple devises via ethernet cable. You would have to install DD-WRT on them and set them according to the tutorials available on that site.

Yes, the classroom desktop and the desktop that will be running the projector will be hardwired to this new "Router 2" (access point). The remote desktop will be controlled remotely by a wireless laptop connection (hence the need for a wireless router).

Awesome. I might try the DD-WRT route. I had an old linksys that I would have used to do all of the above but it didn't support DD-WRT, so the only way to achieve the above was to jury rig it with another adapter. For the price of the TEW 652, it's worth a shot.

How complicated is a DD-WRT flashing procedure? I know it replaces the firmware and can brick a device....

Back
Top Bottom