Dell 24" 2408WFP Question

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
For the past 2 years I been using my Dell 24" 2408WFP monitor and never used the "Gaming" Preset in the "Preset Mode" option, does anyone know what it actually does? I noticed the collars change when you activate it, it looks different thats for sure. Does this Preset lowers the Response Time or how does it work?

Thanks.

The 2408 is a PVA panel. These types of panels are known to have higher input lag compared to IPS and especially TN panels. The "Gaming" preset will prioritize getting images to you faster over image quality.

The presets don't change anything other than the red, green, and blue color balance. It loads color settings ideal for most gaming applications.

If it's anything like my LCD TV, it puts the color darker for games, personally i like it better without it because in some situations you can't see some stuff.

It also gets rid of any image preprocessing to reduce latencies. PVA's are known for being slower than other panel types.

Wikipedia said:
Many televisions, scalers and other consumer display devices now offer what is often called a “game mode,” in which the extensive preprocessing responsible for additional lag is specifically sacrificed in order to decrease, but not eliminate, latency. While typically intended for videogame consoles, this feature is also useful for other interactive applications. Similar options have long been available on home audio hardware and modems for the same reason.

I couldn't find any conclusive evidence, but that's what most "game" modes are supposed to do in display panels.

Back
Top Bottom