Older Dell desktop hardware questions.

ftngrave

Solid State Member
Hello,

I would really appreciate if someone could take the time to answer two questions that I have.

I have a hard drive that was taken out of a Dell Dimension 2400 desktop computer. I previously used a 2400 with the 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron processor. Anyway, now all I have is the hard drive and I want to get another Dimension 2400 to put the hard drive in.

My first question is about the processors of the 2400. It has:

-Intel® Pentium® 4 that runs at 2.2 or 2.4 GHz internally and 400 MHz externally,
or 2.266, 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz internally and 533 MHz externally.
-Intel Celeron® that runs at 2.0, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, or 2.7 GHz internally
and 400 MHz externally.

Obviously the 3.06 GHz Pentium 4 and the 2.7 GHz Intel Celeron would be the best choices. My question is which of these processors would perform better (if anyone has experience/knowledge of both)? I understand that the Pentium 4 runs at some higher specs, but I've never used a Pentium 4 processor and I remember reading somewhere about "issues" with them-I really can't remember what but it was about performance or perhaps compatibility with running processor heavy software.

My next question is about its memory, its specs state that it has two memory connectors with capacities of 128, 256, and 512 MB but then it states that the maximum memory is 2 GB. So how can one have 2 GB of RAM memory with two 512 MB's in the slots?

Thanks to anyone who can help,

Jared

I would avoid Celerons like the plague. As for the memory, my guess is that the specs you have are wrong. Check crucial.com. They have a pretty good database of PC models showing how many slots and max memory capacity and such.

Pentium 4's are solid processors, but pretty outdated. You really should just ditch these computers and put your money in something newer, you'll get much better bang for your buck. And maximum memory is the amount that you can put in and will be supported by your motherboard. Think of it like a gas tank. The max can be 30 gallons, but you could have anywhere from 0 to 30 gallons in it.

Back
Top Bottom