what truck would be best for offroad

winslow33

Daemon Poster
OK, so I sold the chevy because I need 4x4... I have a few options and I'm stuck on what to get. What do you guys think? both are $400 and wont be going back on the road, just for out in the bush

1. 1977 Ford F150 Custom
-351 Windsor V8
-Automatic transmission
-no box
-needs a starter
6364cad_20.jpeg

2. 1985 Ford F250
-Inline 6
-4-speed manual transmission
-spare fenders
-no gas tank
-no back window

86623414.cy9teMfX.jpg

Mud or crawling or what? The '77 would be cooler, but the 85 would get better mileage and more power I think, as 77 is the low compression era.

for the backroads mostly, so mud... I was thinking the 85 would have more power too but I dont think they ever put inline 6's in F250s, did they?

If you are not looking to spend any money on it then I would go with whatever has the highest clearance and best offroad tyres.

for the backroads mostly, so mud... I was thinking the 85 would have more power too but I dont think they ever put inline 6's in F250s, did they?
Yeah, they did. I worked with an old guy that had one. The I6 engines are really good, lots of torque and I think they still get around 20mpg.

Windsor engines have parts EVERYWHERE though. That might be a low compression one though, like 8:1. My friends BBF 400 in his 77 Bronco has less than 200hp. And he gets a whopping 6-10mpg. But if you rebuilt it with some E7 heads from a 302, you should get around 250hp depending on the cam and intake you put on as well. If you don't plan on rebuilding it though, might want to avoid the 351.

Yeah the 77 also was in some kind of an accident, I think rolled. the passenger side door is pushed in a little and the mirror is pressed fllat against the window in an unnatural angle, AND one of the cab lights are missing.
But on the other hand, Im nervous about buying the F250 because it has no gas tank... see what im worried about, how do i know the engine runs? or that the fuel pump works good? (i think on that generation they weren't in the tank, rather on the frame)

Oh, and also tossing this into the soup: 1992 Jeep Wrangler for $800... breaking the bank a little bit but I guess jeeps are the kings of offroading, although I've never owned one

Depends on what kind of offroading again. Jeeps use a dana 28, a tooth pick for an axle. So if you are going anywhere where there are rocks and stuff, it could be ruff...

One more thing I thought of, does the 85 have a solid front rear axle?? The 77 does I'm pretty sure. Solid axles area always better. Which is where the jeep would be nice, unless you are going somewhere with rocks. I think the F-250 would use a Dana 60 or something? And the 150 maybe a 44? I can't remember the numbers... Arizzx would know.

Back
Top Bottom