Slow Transfer Speeds

CarpeNoctem

Daemon Poster
Hello,

First off, I'm quite new at configuring Windows Server. I was forced to set up a server for a family business. I have one computer running Server 2008 which is set up as a DC, File Server, VPN, and I think that's it. It's only used as a file server, vpn server, and a network license server. So if I left out any of the installed options, you might be able to figure it out.

Anyways.. when I start transferring files the speeds are respectable, given the server is an old computer. Transfers start at around 12-18 Megabytes per second. After a few minutes it will slowly go down until the speed is at 4-3 Megabytes per second. The amount will fluctuate a couple megs for the rest of the transfer.

I found this post, which states servers set up as both a Domain Controller and File Server will have a slow transfer rate in Server 2003. Can you guys verify that this is still true in server 2008 for me?
>http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-2003/slow-file-transfer/1012.html

Thanks!

I think that the best way to check would be to look at the registry keys specified in the knowledge base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321098

It seems to make sense why this is happening, as on a DC you'd want the DC opperations to tak priority over simple file transfers. I can't imagine that they'd have changed thi logic.

I'm going to guess that this likely is still an issue, however, i'd recommend that you check the registry keys to find out if they still exist.

Well my home server is a DC and a File Server (and other things, but that's irrelevant). I'm connected via a 100mbit switch, and I normally transfer files at about 11-12mb/s. (100/8=12.5, allowing for overheads etc means that 11-12mb/s is fine). So running a file server and DC simultaneously has not slowed anything down for me, although I dont have many AD users.

Have you tried looking at the networking tab in Task Manager (on the server) while it is idle? Could something else be taking up bandwidth?

I forwarded and opened some ports and got better speeds on uTorrent. I don't know if that relates. Haha....

Lots of things to check, first make sure your network card are up to date. Make sure your using the correct network driver for your card.

Back
Top Bottom