Possibly the best political statement ever made...

Haha. I flipped out and raged on my Spanish teacher this one time...She was having us learn the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish :| [/offtopic]

In light of the OP, I respect that he is sticking to his roots, but he's in no position to say anything that that. While I agree that anyone intending to live in this country for an extended amount of time (don't throw the vacationing argument in this) should learn the "native" language. Of course there is no official language, but our Constitution isn't in French, or Spanish right? I just figure that it's out of respect to the country to speak the language that its inhabitants spoke when it was founded. I don't agree with "majority population's language" either. The demographics are swayed too much by illegals.

my grandparents came here from lebanon and italy, and guess what? THEY LEARNED ENGLISH. they didnt sit there and bitch and want the world to bend to their needs. they knew they wanted to live here. so they ADAPTED. its not an instantaneous process. it takes YEARS of hard work. but hard work is a lost art.

maybe because asia has a HUGE population, but look how many countries speak or have signs in english. in fact everyone in the world that flys a plane has to speak and read english.

and 20% is significant? you sir fail at math.

I was simply applying your logic of the language isse on a world scale and showing how sometimes taking the majority aprach is the wrong way to do things

I was saying 20% is significant enough number to warrent there being significant lobby to do something for the non english speakers

Look at it this way , if you had a high school where only 20% of the staff and student population was female would that warrent them not having a femal toilet because majority of the staff and students where male so the minority would just have to go with whatever the majority had . No it wouldnt in that situation 20% population would be significant enough to have femal toilets as well

it has everything to do with the point you were making. you said people shouldnt have to learn the language of the land the live in. and that we have no official language.

so if all the street names were written in japanese , you wouldnt know where you were going or the name of the street you were on. but it falls well within your reasoning of this country having no official language. so with that said, we might as well use japanese then. why not?

So why would the main language be Japanese? That wouldn't make any sense applied to my argument because there SHOULDN'T be a main language in my opinion.

So you pledge alligance to your flag and your consitution right , well surely you can see that forcing everybody to speak tha language that isnt even the oficial language of the country is unconsitutional .

What about if they where talking about taking away your right to bear arms im sure youd have a constitutional issue with that wouldnt you

Personally no i do not find a problem hanging a flag of the country from a classroom wall , if you are prepared to move someone and live your life there then i think there are certain aspects of the countries culture you should expect to come into contact with

whatever, people can kick , cry , and scream in spanish, russian, japanese, mandarin, or swahili all they want. its freedom of speech. not a lot of people here will understand what theyre saying for the most part. so it will fall on deaf ears.

this country should have an official language because it will only cause chaos. one side will want all documents in their own language and so will another, pretty soon there will be 28 different copies of the same form at the post office.

just so we can make the "world happy"

Look at it this way , if you had a high school where only 20% of the staff and student population was female would that warrent them not having a femal toilet because majority of the staff and students where male so the minority would just have to go with whatever the majority had . No it wouldnt in that situation 20% population would be significant enough to have femal toilets as well

actually no, in my automotive school. it was built in the 70s or 60s i forget. anyway, there was only a boys bathroom. well now girls started taking automotive classes, but only like 4 out of 18 kids. so they had to walk to the other side of school to go to the bathroom, it wasnt a big enough number to spend 20,000 dollars building a new bathroom.

So why would the main language be Japanese? That wouldn't make any sense applied to my argument because there SHOULDN'T be a main language in my opinion.

so if there is no main language. should we have street signs with the words "turn right here" written in 28 languages?

Still. How do you label your streets? Let's not just leave this to road signs since language applies to basically everything. How about tests? Should our "underpaid" teacher's union have to write the tests in xx different languages?

You completely misunderstood me. American driving symbols are more iconic than the ones you showed me.

very true. but what about highway signs? like idno, "main st exit 32" or "construction in 400 feet"

should those all be written in every language known? i mean according to your opinion thats the way it has to be.

20% is very significant. One out of every five people would benefit from it. The government makes much more important decisions o benefit way less than 20% of the public, so yes very significant. You fail at logic.

OHHHHHH the GOVERNMENT does do they? hmmm , well, if im not completely mistaken arent we in the WORST debt EVERRRRR?

perhaps the government fails at logic and they arent the best example to use.:rolleyes:

very true. but what about highway signs? like idno, "main st exit 32" or "construction in 400 feet"

should those all be written in every language known? i mean according to your opinion thats the way it has to be.

OHHHHHH the GOVERNMENT does do they? hmmm , well, if im not completely mistaken arent we in the WORST debt EVERRRRR?

perhaps the government fails at logic and they arent the best example to use.:rolleyes:

Wow your response is horrible. So what if the government is in debt? That is not caused by them priniting documents in two languages. It is very different.

Also, the street sign thing is a nonissue. Learning at most 20 phrases/words will not be hard. Documents are a totally different matter. It would take years of learning to be able to fully understand them.

Still. How do you label your streets? Let's not just leave this to road signs since language applies to basically everything. How about tests? Should our "underpaid" teacher's union have to write the tests in xx different languages?

writing exams is a non issue the main examiners can write them in english and then have them translated to different languages

Well there isnt a debt crisis because a few documents are being printed in more than one language thats for sure
besides what you set to save by not printing these documents in more than one language you set to end up spending on other areas such as welfare or policing as the communities who are being excluded cannot get jobs because they cannot understand the application forms and we all know that poverty is almost always a catalyst behind crime so there will be greater policing costs in these communities

Back
Top Bottom