Questionaire On Digital Rights Management (Quick!)

Speedydowt

In Runtime
Hey guys,

First off let me apologize if this in the wrong section or deemed as advertising, i can assure you it's not!

I'm currently doing my dissertation on Digital Rights Management and would really like to see users opinions on this matter,

The questionnaire is only 18 questions long so will be super quick to fill out and I would really appreciate your help!

Link to questionnaire: http://form.servebbs.net/tom/view.php?id=1

Thanks again

Was quick. Only took me like.. A minute. It brings up a lot of good questions.

I'll say this publicly: There will ALWAYS be ways around DRM. I don't care what gaming companies try to do, there will always be some pissed off person who will find a way to hack the game and remove the DRM. It has NEVER failed. Sure, it may take months to find the crack, but rest assured, it has always happened and will continue to happen in the future.

thank you very much guys for your input- FlightSimBoy- very interesting thought there- If that is the case do you think companies should simply finish with DRM?

its great to hear your opinions on this- not only for my dissertation but also just generally as well

CrackerJacker- ahh sorry mate will add "none" to the options :p

Just as a side note as well- all question are anonymous no personal information is gathered and no personal information is used in the analysis of these results

I'll say this publicly: There will ALWAYS be ways around DRM. I don't care what gaming companies try to do, there will always be some pissed off person who will find a way to hack the game and remove the DRM. It has NEVER failed. Sure, it may take months to find the crack, but rest assured, it has always happened and will continue to happen in the future.

completely agree... I wonder if there is a tipping point when more will have been spent on implementing games, and PR disasters like steam servers crashing than the actual revenue that would have been lost?

Very interesting question you raise there root- the sheer cost of recalling all of those Sony CD's must have been staggering when they decided it would be a good idea to install a rootkit in there media!

Spot on. This has been tried and tested for over a decade now, and we still haven't seen an uncrackable form of DRM (or anywhere close.) I do wonder why the industry still bothers in a way - take DVD to Blu-Ray for an example. The encryption on the former was broken by a teenager trying to play DVDs on linux, and the latter was broken almost as soon as it was released (the key was held in plain text in memory at runtime!)

Millions and years were spent developing both forms of encryption - both proved worthless.

thank you very much guys for your input- FlightSimBoy- very interesting thought there- If that is the case do you think companies should simply finish with DRM?

its great to hear your opinions on this- not only for my dissertation but also just generally as well

CrackerJacker- ahh sorry mate will add "none" to the options :p

Just as a side note as well- all question are anonymous no personal information is gathered and no personal information is used in the analysis of these results

I have two answers to that question.

1. Absolutely not. Why? Because it gives people something to do. Some people literally spend hours, days, weeks even trying to crack DRM. It inspires people to "think outside the box" and do whatever is necessary to get what they want.

2. Of course. Why? Because this will make it easier to develop a game. Game developers wouldn't have to spend pointless hours to make something that they claim to be "un-crackable." It would also reduce man hours required to make the game, therefore lowering the costs of the game, therefore more people might legally buy it. Given, you'll still have a large percentage of people "acquiring" a game, but in turn, I feel it would be worth the risk.

+1

reminds me when Modern Warfare 2 came out. They had cracked online multiplayer like within a day.

Back
Top Bottom