Phenom II x6

I did hear about that, and it sounds great and all, but it only does it when three or more cores are idle. This would only happen in dual-core threaded games, which in most cases are older or less intensive ones, or possibly console ports (does the Xbox's trip-core PPC CPU have hyerthreading?), none of which would really be in need of the difference between, say 2.8 and 3.2 GHz. If they had worked out a way to do this with 2 cores underclocking/4 overclocking, then I would buy one for sure.

It just is not the most practical feature for gamers, which seems to be most of AMD's high-end audience.

^ It doesn't have "Hyperthreading", technically, since that's an Intel thing, but it does have a symmetrical SMT technology in it. It's actually better than HT, from what I understand.

edit: And actually, a lot of newer games can take advantage of more than four cores. Anything on the Source engine will use as many as you have, with no limit as far as I know.(I could be wrong) Anything that was ported from the Xbox is likely to be coded for at least 6.

I was just looking at these this morning. Building a new system soon for a user.. Their gaming goes up to WOW sort of level. Maybe some light COD (on medium settings maybe)

Toying between 1055T and the 955. As I havent had any experience with the 6core phenoms, im guessing the turbo core technology could help the gaming a little - probably enough for his, not blisteringly good performance, but might be a bit more future proofed? What you guys think? probably building in 2 weeks. Or do I Hang out and see if the 955's drop a bit in price? wait till the BE comes out for the 1055, might push the retail prices of both the processors down??

You have to game at high resolutions for phenom IIs to beat an i7.

Run the tests at something like my setup, and the phenom II will own. Even the 955 would beat it.

1680x1050 is epic fail. 1920x1200 is the least they should be able to get away with. I wonder if they did that intentionally to favor intel CPUs.

Back
Top Bottom