Is an Alienware laptop good for college?

From personal experience, lenovos are the worst laptops I have ever seen. My school had one cart of thirty lanovo laptops, and there was never a point that even twenty would be able to make it to the login screen. It was a hardware error for sure because even the one I put debian on did it eventually. Quite a few times they would not even post. Lol and the teacher would not let me take one apart to diagnose. He just said 'it's under warranty, let the manufacturer deal with it.'

I know that everyone here loves them and will prolly get mad at me for saying this but w/e.

From experience, reliable laptops are asus, Sony, and apple. I have also owned a few twinhead systems, and they seemed solid, but nobody seems to care about twinheads anymore.

Ive heard by word of mouth that Acer have the worst customer service going and they always try to put off any repair even in warranty. Once soemone i knew had their repaired 3 times and each 1 month after, the same thing broke again due to poor repairs

This seems to be the common story. I think their laptops have a low failure rate, but the people who have ones that do fail are screwed. This would also explain why the repair rate is so high, yet so many people rushed in saying their acers never had any problems.

Personally inwould rather have a higher chance of it breaking, but having the ability to get a new oneif it does break, than having a chance of it breaking over and over and over with the manufacturer not doing crap about it.

^ That's rather strange, honestly. Statistically speaking, Lenovo is a close #3 behind Asus and Apple when it comes to reliability. The thinkpad line in particular has held a reputation for being one of the most well-designed series on the market for over a decade. The ideapad isn't as good, though.

edit:
For college, an expensive laptop really isn't what you should get. If you have the budget for an Alienware laptop, then you might as well just build a really good desktop and spend the money you'd save on a netbook to take to class. That's much, much easier. You get all the performance of the desktop, and have something with great battery life and small size to take to class.

What's your budget?

From personal experience, lenovos are the worst laptops I have ever seen. My school had one cart of thirty lanovo laptops, and there was never a point that even twenty would be able to make it to the login screen. It was a hardware error for sure because even the one I put debian on did it eventually. Quite a few times they would not even post. Lol and the teacher would not let me take one apart to diagnose. He just said 'it's under warranty, let the manufacturer deal with it.'

Were they Ideapads or Thinkpads?

Acer maybe, ASUS no.

but alienware for college would be kinda silly ^_^

if you've got alienware cash, how about a Macbook? macbook pros are reliable, light and fast.

alot of people overlook them just because theyre macs. just thought id throw it out there.

EDIT: lol missed the most on the last page about macbooks. still, i stand by it ^_^

Were they Ideapads or Thinkpads?

maybe they were BraindeadPads? :p

So it appears we've all been a bit wrong, but I stand by my suggestion of Asus:
by-manf.jpg

Was anyone else surprised to see Sony and Toshiba beat Apple?

On another note, if one out of every 6-7 laptops from the most reliable manufacturer is going to fail in 2-3 years, then I would REALLY suggest going the Desktop + Netbook route.

I'm surprised HP isn't rated higher for malfunctions! lol.

Toshiba is well known for reliability. Apples always has some flaky batches but usually they are good. Just keep up with the buzz online.

I'm gonna vote for either Asus laptop or an Apple laptop. I'm not here to say Mac OS X is better than Windows, but an Apple laptop would require less maintenance and is pain free and gives you more time to focus on more important stuff like school work.

lenovos are the worst laptops I have ever seen.

My school had one cart of thirty lanovo laptops, and there was never a point that even twenty would be able to make it to the login screen.

It was a hardware error for sure because even the one I put debian on did it eventually. Quite a few times they would not even post.

I know that everyone here loves them and will prolly get mad at me for saying this but w/e.

From experience, reliable laptops are asus,

Sony, and

apple.

I have also owned a few twinhead systems, and they seemed solid, but nobody seems to care about twinheads anymore.

Probably the Thinkpads Color Vision

Definatly

Difinitavly

Most will, but I understand

Asus is fairly Reliable

My experience with my Viao is not the best with Warentys and "Manufacture Claims"

Apple, not bad, The HD's fail really bad in the G4s, and the battery quickly looses its maximum charge ability

I've never heard of twinhead, but this is probably the same reason nobody seems to care

by-manf.jpg

Good thing I have a thinkpad and not my grandpa's Gateway, L@@K, 23% MAN!!!

The lenovo notebooks that kept crapping out on me... Idk what they were. Definitely not thinkpads, they were silver with. 15.6 inch LCD.

The graph that mutant corn posted is mostly what I expected. Apple had some pretty bad hardware issues with a few of their batches a while back, but now they are pretty good. Just way too expensive. The toshiba was a bit surprising though, I expected them to be more like 20% from stories I have heard. Dell was also a bit surprising, though it is most likely due to the extreme inconsistency in their stuff. The laptops are either great, or absolute garbage. No matter what, you do not want to deal with Dell support. They are the worst. Well, except microsoft support. Dell at leat responds to your emails eventually.

by-manf.jpg

Was anyone else surprised to see Sony and Toshiba beat Apple?

On another note, if one out of every 6-7 laptops from the most reliable manufacturer is going to fail in 2-3 years, then I would REALLY suggest going the Desktop + Netbook route.

Haha, I am surprised....NOT. Sony rocks, I am not a fan of Toshiba but I'm happy to see that Apple is getting beat out.

The lenovo notebooks that kept crapping out on me... Idk what they were. Definitely not thinkpads, they were silver with. 15.6 inch LCD.

The graph that mutant corn posted is mostly what I expected. Apple had some pretty bad hardware issues with a few of their batches a while back, but now they are pretty good. Just way too expensive. The toshiba was a bit surprising though, I expected them to be more like 20% from stories I have heard. Dell was also a bit surprising, though it is most likely due to the extreme inconsistency in their stuff. The laptops are either great, or absolute garbage. No matter what, you do not want to deal with Dell support. They are the worst. Well, except microsoft support. Dell at leat responds to your emails eventually.

Well, IDK either on those lenovos, the new ones suck bad, but most of the early 2000's Thinkpads are pretty reliable. The think vision was the first PC Laptop to have a color screen. It is buggy as gateway and HP combined in 1 minute. The tablet Toshibas with the fold around screens are fairly reliable, but most only have PIII's. HPs are crap, no doubt. HP is better off building thier awesome laser jet printers... I have some IBM kayboards from 1983, the only problem is that they don't have a windows key!!!

Over all, there are a good few in all the bad bunches, powerbok 160's, G3's, R&T 31-60's, MX series, Portege tablet series, Travelmates, & a few laditudes are even good...

Back
Top Bottom