32 bit vs 64 bit

It can handle 64-bit hardware, and 64-bit processes. You will be able to use all 4GB of your RAM, and be more future proof for the most part, because 64-bit processes are not necessary for most things right now.

Keep in mind that 64-bit operating systems do tend to be more resource heavy than 32-bit ones.

So to answer your second question: it depends.

The most significant reason is indeed the memory one - and since many machines have 4GB nowadays, it makes sense to be able to use all you've got available. The memory barrier actually goes deeper though having lots of knock on effects, for example you can use memory mapped files in excess of 4GB natively on a 64-bit OS (with some applications these days this isn't uncommon.)

You're most likely to see speed increases in very CPU-intensive tasks at the moment - rendering films, manipulating large photos, dealing with multi track recording systems and the like. If you're doing anything that sounds like those it might be worth looking into since they're the sort of applications which will generally make best use of the widened registers and increased memory capacity.

If you're writing a few letters every so often and using facebook chat though - not worth even thinking about!

It can handle 64-bit hardware, and 64-bit processes. You will be able to use all 4GB of your RAM, and be more future proof for the most part, because 64-bit processes are not necessary for most things right now.

Keep in mind that 64-bit operating systems do tend to be more resource heavy than 32-bit ones.

So to answer your second question: it depends.

Yeah - 64bit applications tend to use a bit more ram... but if you have 4GB, then your 32bit OS isn't going to be using all four GB, so I'd say you'd gain more by running an x64 OS than you'd loose. If you have <3GB Ram, however, I would probably stick with 32bit for now, unless you have a specific need for 64bit.

ive been using x64 for a while now, never really had any problems with it. Used Vista x86 when i got this laptop, i put on Vista x64 and everything got faster. Win7 x64 is a dream.

and on the momery thing, i was only seeing 2.75GB in x86, and i dont really use many resource-heavy programs, so im seeing more memory but still not using all of it ^_^

but the fact that i can see it is reassuring, 'tis there if i need it : )

Back
Top Bottom