I need some upgrades. Help please.

What you see below are the current specs of my computer..I have about 400-500 dollars I can use to upgrade this stuff to make it faster. What do I need to upgrade? Specific items and links to them would be great. I play a lot of World of Warcraft so maybe something that will run it a lot smoother also. Should I upgrade to windows 7 or stay with Vista?

INTEL QUAD CORE Q9300 2.5GHZ RETAIL 1
250GB SATA II 3.GB 7200RPM 8MB 1
1G DDR2 PC6400 MEMORY 2
INTEL BRAND LGA 775+ 3.6GHZ CPU FAN 1
CASE FAN W/ 4 NEON LED 1
EVGA GEFORCE 9800 GT 1 GB 16X PCI-E 1
SUNBEAM 580WATT POWER SUPPLY 1
BLACK SAMSUNG 20X DVDRW 1
12-IN-ONE INTERNAL CARD READER 1
RAIDMAX SAGITTA II /BLACK /WIDNOW 1
INTEL GIGABITE BAST-T NIC 1
ASUS P5Q PRO P45 DDR2 CROSSFIRE MB 1
WINDOWS VISTA HOME BASIC 32-BIT SP1 1

Thanks for the help!

Hey dude, I didn't bother to read all the reply's but here are my 2 cents. I played WoW for few years my self and went threw an upgrade in order to get best FPS possible in raids. WoW is not GPU hungry as it is CPU! I went from 9800GTX to 5870 (Huge Upgrade) and didnt see any FPS increase. Wasn't until I overclocked my CPU to 4.0GHZ from 2.6Ghz that I noticed a big difference. Also you would have to edit a file in WoW folder in order to get 4+ processors working to its full potential.

Just did some quick googling for you and I think they did some updates so I think editing a file might no longer be needed. Anyways here is the link to it http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=1778017311

Hope I was able to help.

FOR THE HORDE!

Hey dude, I didn't bother to read all the reply's but here are my 2 cents. I played WoW for few years my self and went threw an upgrade in order to get best FPS possible in raids. WoW is not GPU hungry as it is CPU! I went from 9800GTX to 5870 (Huge Upgrade) and didnt see any FPS increase. Wasn't until I overclocked my CPU to 4.0GHZ from 2.6Ghz that I noticed a big difference. Also you would have to edit a file in WoW folder in order to get 4+ processors working to its full potential.

Just did some quick googling for you and I think they did some updates so I think editing a file might no longer be needed. Anyways here is the link to it http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=1778017311

Hope I was able to help.

FOR THE HORDE!

haha. thanks for the info. I think I might just go with the RAM upgrade and be cool with it. and yeah for the horde for sure! Ive been playing for over 5 years now. *thumbs up*

what is vsync? and if I buy that RAM what do I need to do in order to install it? Do I need to take out the 1GB I already have in there and just replace it with the new RAM? Sorry..I know a little bit about computers and I could install it on my own I just dont know how too..so if you could help me some on that id appreciate it. and thanks to everyone for your input. So really just upgrade the RAM to run WoW a lot smoother? what about a new PSU?

Edit: That RAM looks kind of cheap. I have about 400-500 dollars to spend..im not saying give me the most expensive kind but im not on a tight budget here..and I hope to keep this computer for years and years..Ive already had it for almost 3..it still runs quick as hell but I want it faster. This is my main desktop computer but I also have a macbook pro.

Vsync= Vertical Sync- and it matches your monitors refresh rate/frequency, with WoW. It basically caps it so it won't go above a certian FPS, which is a downer.

Ram has always been cheaper. Cheap ram is still good, just look at the reviews. Installing ram is basic it depends on your motherboard and what kind of ram it takes and what it can max out on...

Vsync= Vertical Sync- and it matches your monitors refresh rate/frequency, with WoW. It basically caps it so it won't go above a certian FPS, which is a downer.

Ram has always been cheaper. Cheap ram is still good, just look at the reviews. Installing ram is basic it depends on your motherboard and what kind of ram it takes and what it can max out on...

can you explain to me how NOT to have vsync running? Anything I can check to make sure it isnt?

because your framerate needs to be over 9000 even if your monitor only displays 60. :rolleyes:

it makes things look smoother because it will hold the frame until the monitor refreshes. This means that every frame displayed will be evenly spaced, and none will be skipped or repeated. It is hard to explain well, but if you have high framerates, vsync will improve picture quality. Nothing is effectively capped.

because your framerate needs to be over 9000 even if your monitor only displays 60. :rolleyes:

it makes things look smoother because it will hold the frame until the monitor refreshes. This means that every frame displayed will be evenly spaced, and none will be skipped or repeated. It is hard to explain well, but if you have high framerates, vsync will improve picture quality. Nothing is effectively capped.

okay..well can someone help me then to turn off vsync? Ive never even heard of this before. and im guessing you play wow, referencing to the "OVER 9000" achievement on WoW. :)

can you explain to me how NOT to have vsync running? Anything I can check to make sure it isnt?

Go to video options in WoW. There is a little vsync check box!

Read footheads post. He's right, its really hard to explain.

:p

okay but if I get the RAM how do I install it..no one has told me that yet..Do I just take out the old RAM and stick the new RAM in?

RAM is very easy to install. I'd recommend taking a look at online tutorials (youtube.com probably has several)? I'm sure you could find a decent one out there somewhere.

There's a little lip that you need to line up, to pop it in. Other than that? Not much to it.

Good luck.
Yea its really easy to install. Like Remote said check youtube if your not sure.

Back
Top Bottom