nerd ftw?

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
lol i just noticed today (slow i know) that apparently being a 'nerd' or 'geek' is unanymously a bad thing (apparently). i very much disagree with this. IF you've ever heard the Weird al yankovic song 'white and nerdy' you know what im talking about ^_^. that song basically sums me up...other than the bubblewrap thing :eek: :confused:

but, do you think being a 'nerd' is a bad thing? or the contrary?

Yeah, the word "nerd" was created to insult a particular segment of the population, much like the other "n word". However, it has also come to be used as a term of endearment or solidarity among nerds.

In the UK geek is the far more popular term. Of course it can be used as an insult, but it's far more commonly used as a self-branded term amongst my group!

There is a book called Geek by Jon Katz. It is a short read and explains the evolution of geeks to the word itself meaning a positive thing. The book is lower level reading, but IMO is a great book for any nerdy person to read.

Actually from where I am from in NY, most people think highly of nerds.
The "bad" term would be Geek here.
If one is smart and has a social life: Nerd.
If one is smart but does not have social life: Geek.

BTW Superman, Intellectual Badass xD HA! I'm so stealing that :D

I always say, it's the nerds that will have to corporate desk jobs/engineers/high paying jobs, and the others who will be working under them... sometimes way under them...

Back
Top Bottom