can't connect remotely to my server

gib65

Baseband Member
I'm trying to establish a remote connection to my Windows Server 2003 machine from a Windows XP machine through the Web User Interface that comes standard with Windows Server. Connecting to the Web User Interface works fine but when I go to maintenance and then remote desktop, it tells me "Error connecting to server: [SERVER_NAME]. You must enable Remote Desktop on the server to use this feature."

I know for fact I have remote desktop enabled. I've connected to it through other computers on the network. The machine I'm using to connect to it has recently had its OS reinstalled and that must have something to do with the problem, but I can't pin it down any more than that.

Can someone please help me.

have you tried from a different system?
did you type the ipaddress or the hostname(from the client)?
is there a router or firewall between server and client?
is your server listening on the port that your client is sending to?
have you tried using a different rdp client?

um are you on or off the network? If you are accessing this server off the network through rdp you are going to have to allow the connection to come through your firewall and allow the traffic to go to the server. In order to connect this way you will hve to use your external IP address to get in and if you set the forward up correctly you will be connect right into your server. If you are doing this while on the network try the connecting using the IP of the machine if you dont have DNS configured your not going to be able to connect through servername.

you have to enable the remote connection to connect to the server, in the server, go to start> control panel> click on system> then click on remote tab and select the Allow users to connect remotely to this computer check box, next, make sure you have Windows Firewall set up to allow exceptions, go back to control panel and click on windows firewall and make sure the Don't allow exceptions check box is not selected, then click the Exceptions tab, and verify that the Remote Desktop check box is selected and finally click OK. Now open remote desktop connection from start> all programs> accessories and click on remote desktop connection and follow the instruction to connect to the server. good luck

Back
Top Bottom