AV/Malware/Hijack solutions

chaslinux

Baseband Member
Just wondering what people typically do/use for antivirus/malware/hijack solutions.

When I get an infected system I typically:

- remove the hard drive, put it in my USB enclosure, scan it with Malware Bytes and Avast. For infested systems I'll run GMER on it.
- put the drive back in the system unit, boot to safe mode, run msconfig and disable ALL startup objects and any non-Microsoft services that look suspicious.

- Sometimes I'll manually remove entries from the registry if I'm sure it's spyware/malware.

Malware Bytes is pretty amazing, but occasionally it misses or cannot remove the odd thing.

Just wanted to know what software others were using, especially with respect to Hijacking (excluding Hijack This).

:cool:

Cheers!

I think the last time I can remember having malware I just re-installed. I had very little running on the computer at the time so it was just easy to re-format and install the OS and a few apps. This was about 4-5 years ago.

Since then i've ran various AV software and settled with Avast! and the Windows firewall with the routers firewalls.

Although I think it's whether you get virus's/malware is purely down to your browsing habits and you could probably do without AV software if your careful where you browse.

Actually it's not me with the malware/viruses/trojans, I pretty much exclusively run Linux on most of my boxes, and run Windows in a VM. I'm thinking for friends and family who get it.

Although I think it's whether you get virus's/malware is purely down to your browsing habits and you could probably do without AV software if your careful where you browse.

Actually it's not me with the malware/viruses/trojans, I pretty much exclusively run Linux on most of my boxes, and run Windows in a VM. I'm thinking for friends and family who get it.

I wasn't actually referring to you directly in my previous post, just my poor gramma i guess. I was speaking hyperthetically, if thats the correct term.

:)

I just run Malwarebytes. It does the job for most any of the nasties. I used to run the AdAware/Spybot combo as one usually finds what the other missed. Other than that, I have AVG running.

I wasn't actually referring to you directly in my previous post, just my poor gramma i guess. I was speaking hyperthetically, if thats the correct term.

:)

I agree wholeheartedly, sadly many people don't practice safe surfing. In a couple of cases I figure the malware came from gaming sites, but I had one friend of a friend who swore up and down her brand new computer was a piece of junk, it turned out she had a slew of p*rn on it after only 1 week and had infested the system with malware...

Anyway, was kind of hoping for good, after the fact solutions. GMER is pretty interesting, but on one system I found it took several hours to scan. I basically left it overnight.

I've run into systems where Malware bytes said the system was clean, but I knew it wasn't because DNS redirects were still happening. {interestingly I could go to non-cached Google, search for something, it was only after clicking the Google results that the DNS redirect happened...} So it's these kind of problems I'm looking to solve, ones that MBAM doesn't do.

I've never had a bad infestation on my machine - but then I don't visit the sort of sites where I'd pick one up, and don't download and run random crap without checking what it does!

When I'm presented with a PC that does, I usually try spybot / malwarebytes in safe mode - if that fails I'll just reinstall. There's no point faffing around for weeks trying to sort a problem out these days when windows installs in an hour or so.

I have an antivirus who scan in real-time and if computer is infected i reinstall C drive from backup CD , instead waisting time for search viruses etc.I use Second Backup (is free - link)

From my experience, in most cases viruses could not be repaired or deleted.

Back
Top Bottom