Getting a new laptop soon, any suggestions?

noingwhat

Solid State Member
I am looking at getting a Dell Studio XPS 16 for my next laptop. I have a budget of $2500 including shipping and tax (a little over $200).
My current config is:
Black w/leather
i7 720
3 yr advanced warranty
6GB RAM
128 GB SSD
Bluetooth
and a BlueRay Drive

This all comes out to $2,289.94. Any suggestions on how to improve my config, or any other laptops I should consider. I want a laptop between 15-17 inch screen (no bigger, not even 17.1) with an i7 processor, SSD, bluetooth, 3+ year warranty, and a BlueRay drive for under $2500. I have considered the Sony VAIO F, Alienware m15x, and HP Envy 15, but I chose the XPS 16 over all those. Any other laptops you think are better and fit those specs (or exceed them :) ) please tell me. I am open to suggestions.

May i ask why you want a laptop?

If this is in a desktop, for 2500, you could DESTROY THAT LAPPIE as if it was made in 1901.

Tho i have nothing to change/add to your current BOM (build of materials)

If a desktop sold at 2500$, it may have a advanced config.:D

I am using Sony N120 $420
10.2" 1024x600
N270. 1GB, 160GB HDD, XP
100% full size keyboard
802.11 g/b
6 cell = 7.5 hours
colors: black / white

have you looked in to the ASUS G73JH-A2?

comes with i7 , 8gb ram, 1TB HD, 17" HD lcd 1920x1080 screen, ATI HD 5870m graphics with 1gb ddr5 ram. and it comes with a custom targus backpack to carry it with.

theyre just tough to find in stock, but u can find them if you look hard enough. MSRP is 1599, or 1699 if you want bluray

its a BEAST. http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=8je5Ot4HBnKOdT81

Hi,
Well it's certainly got enough processing grunt for both on the plus side. Question for you: do you plan to take it on the road? I'm not sure what the build quality will be like on a sub-$2000 machine with those specs, probably not good. The screen probably isn't great either, which I imagine is important for graphic design. 7.5lbs is heavy, and the battery life will be hampered by the GTS 360M - and BTW, 1GB of VRAM in a laptop is a selling point, but completely pointless unless you're going to use it for gaming in 1080p.

Thanks

I definitely need a laptop, I take my current one just about everywhere I go. My current laptop is already pretty heavy at 6 lbs, but I have gotten used to it so an extra 1.5 shouldn't be that big of a deal. And as for the screen, from what I have heard it is fantastic. One review I saw, the guy said he would have bought it just for the screen. I am not totally sure I would buy that, but still, it is not a crappy screen. The only real issue I have heard about this laptop is it heats up a bit, which is a bit of a concern, but other than that, there were some throttling issues caused by an underpowered AC adapter, but Dell has gotten that fixed. Thanks to the guy who posted about the ASUS laptop, I'll take a look.

And just in case you wanted to know what I do on here, I do some application design, digital photo editing, 3d modling, DJing, and a bit of gaming (nothign too hard core) but I am investing into a good computer because 1) I am really impatient, and 2) My computer is my life, my schedule for the day (minus school) is basically wake up, get dressed/brush teeth/etc, play on computer, eat, play on computer, eat, play on computer, eat, play on computer, sleep. Then my day starts over again.

I looked at the ASUS, and it was nice, but as I said, I really really want to try and stay under 17". This one is 17.3. The only issue I have with laptops that big is that they weigh a ton and a half (8.5 lbs) the Dell is 7.5 that that is pushing it, but it is a performance laptop. The ASUS also did not have the option for an SSD (or at least not that I saw) so I am not so sure about it. It seems to have about the same specs as the Dell, just an uglier design, and a far better graphics card (the only bad thing about the specs on the dell, but I heard the performance wasn't all bad, I'm not going to be doing hard core gaming)

Back
Top Bottom