Car dilemma

Legodude522

Daemon Poster
Hello all, recently I was in an accident and crushed the front end of my 2008 Chevy Cobalt. Insurance just called me today and they have determined that the car was totaled and will not be fixed. I don't know how much they are giving me yet. Either they will give me money and I fix the car anyway or I sell them the car to be junked and get more money to put towards a new car.

I won't make a final decision on that until I find out how much they are willing to give me. I bought the car for $12,000. The blue book value is $14,000. I owe $10,000 on the car. It is my hope and assumption that I will be getting enough to pay off the car and get away debt free. I also have a $1,000 deductible which will just come right out of the the check they give me.

So, I'm considering some options here. There is a slim chance that I might just take the money and try to get my car fixed. But most likely what is going to happen is that I get another car. Price range will be the same of the previous car, $12,000ish. I plan on have $2,000 ready to put down on a car.

I plan on going back to work on Monday. I will be carpooling so no charge. If I spend wisely, I should have about to save up $1,500 each month. So by the end of June, I should have $3,000 and some change saved up. So I would do $2,000 for a new car and then $1,000 saved for my crazy new insurance rates.

Hopefully my plan doesn't suck. Anyway, what kind of car should I get? I think I'm done with the sport blue coupes. I'm open to almost anything. I'm somewhat concerned with gas mileage. I don't want an SUV unless I really need it. I like my 30mpg coupes.

• Get another Chevy Cobalt?
  • Get a nice Jeep for off roading?
  • Chevy Aveo hatchback?
  • Toyota Yaris hatchback?

Right now, I'm mostly leaning towards the Chevy Aveo hatchback. Lots of room for computers and stuff, 4 doors, still looks cool, and probably room for my subs.

1zf1j5g.jpg

um, i dont know about the insurance

but i dont think that thing looks "cool"
screems Grandmas Boy to me.

i dont know how you could go from a jeep to that thing..

I just traded in my jeep... The gas milage sucked (I averaged 13 mpg). I loved the thing, but gas alone would cost more than my new payments + gas.

Chevy aveo, Pontiac Vibe, and Toyota Matrix are all the same car if I am not mistaken. I know the Vibe and Matrix are the same, not so sure about the aveo and Vibe. Just a heads up in case one is cheaper.
How about like a Subaru? Then you got AWD, so you can still make it through some light stuff that a jeep could, you also have a hatchback, and a very reliable car to boot. Just make sure you get a 5 speed. I think my dad's 4 auto doesn't have OD, and it's a 2007 car! lol

Drove an Aveo Hatchback for a year when I worked at a Mom & Pop computer repair store. Definately room for PC stuff with the hatchback. Not going to be room for subs and PC stuff though. The interior is fairly small as well. You can get them pretty cheap if you get them at their base model.

I don't think an Aveo is on the same line as the Vibe and Matrix, they're pretty small.

You're going to be surprised that there isn't quite as much room in an Aveo as you think there is going to be.

Was that a Cobalt SS? You should stick with the Cobalt, they are nice cars.

You could get a Ford Focus as well, good mileage and fairly decent size. Maybe even a Fusion would be good.
Or you could get like a Ford Ranger, but they don't make the 4x4 with a 4cyl, you would have to get a 4.0 or 3.slow, and with both engines your mileage would be able 17/21.

Back
Top Bottom