Installing Windows 7 OEM

TongueNgroove

Solid State Member
Hey guys.

I just built a new computer and installed my copy of Windows XP Pro on it. Then I decided to change to Windows 7 Pro, so I bought Windows 7 Pro OEM.

Here are the issues.

If I try to open the Windows 7 CD from windows XP it says "This disc isnt compatible with your version of Windows. Reboot the PC with the installation disc and choose " Custom".

So I do that.....

So I boot from the instalation CD and it says "Loading Windows Files". It then boots up to a desktop with nothing on it. No icons, no windows, no nothing, just a background image. I can use my mouse, but there is nothing to click on!

So what do I do?

Thanks.

Give it time.

When you get to the Bluish green screen that looks like a background with nothing on it, Just wait it could take up to 20 mins or so to initialize and finish installing

Microsoft failed. They should have but a loading screen or something there to tell you its initializing. However they were trying to reduce the perceived installation time and didn't.

If you want a faster Windows 7 install do it via flash drive. You can use DISKPART from your XP command prompt to prepare the flash drive and make it bootable. Then it's just a matter of opening the Windows 7 DVD and running the xcopy command with the appropriate switches. If you want explicit instructions, let me know.

Give it time.

When you get to the Bluish green screen that looks like a background with nothing on it, Just wait it could take up to 20 mins or so to initialize and finish installing

Microsoft failed. They should have but a loading screen or something there to tell you its initializing. However they were trying to reduce the perceived installation time and didn't.

That was exactly the problem. It took about 5 minutes and it finaly poped up a window.

Yah, they definately failed there. There should be a progress bar or something going on.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom