Need a suggestion

Fisher

Fully Optimized
After advice from foothead and rooster i am going for a phenom 2 platform for my new rig

so far i have this:

AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 965 Black Edition 3.40GHz

Asus Crosshair III Formula AMD 790FX

OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz AMD Black Edition Memory Kit AOD Ready CL8(8-8-8-24) 1.65V

and can you recommend a decent heatsink i was thinking of the

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme but after a little research i have found that i will not be able to put memory in slots 1+2 of that mobo cause this heatsink is so big. i wil be overclocking as far as possible

so what do you guys think so far, prob still needs alot more researching so any more suggestions would be nice. budget isnt much of an issue

I wouldn't think the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme would keep you from using those memory slots as long as you are using standard height memory. The only ones that should have a problem are the modules with tall heatsinks like the Corsair Dominators.

I wouldn't think the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme would keep you from using those memory slots as long as you are using standard height memory. The only ones that should have a problem are the modules with tall heatsinks like the Corsair Dominators.

yeah all the reviews i have seen that cant fit are for the dominators, here some pics:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5297/p22a.png
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/2939/p22b.png

i was thinking about going for the dominators but i need to do a little more reading. another question i have is 8Gb really worth it? will 4Gb do? i want my system to be a little future proof for games but i would rather spend the extra £££'s on a graphics card in the future.

and if i was going to go for the dominators do you guys think that prolimatech megahalems or tuniq tower extreme might fit?

I think the tuniq would fit, but I am unsure about the megahalems (never seen one mounted)

4GB is plenty of RAM for gaming right now, and you can always add more when you need it, since the prices should be cheaper by then (RAM is incredibly expensive right now). Personally, I would go with G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 and overclock it myself, but the dominators are pretty awesome if you do not mind paying a ton for RAM.

They do get close...

DSC00607.jpg

DSC00608.jpg

But you can slide the fan up slightly to accomodate large RAM.

Back
Top Bottom