windows 7 hp o/s

reeve

Baseband Member
hey guys, okay so im building a desktop, currently have a laptop, im hoping there is a way i can clone my laptop hdd onto the desktop hdd and be able to use the same install of windows on the desktop without having to reinstall.

i know how to do the cloning, not an issue, but its whether getting the clone to run on the desktop would be easy, hard, or if im going to need 3 boxes of headache pills to get through it

yes it will be uninstalled from the laptop after. just CBA with activating it as had to reinstall it alot of times already

W7 will kill itself if you try to clone it. The RC did to me, it's a security feature. You will most likely end up with two nonworking installs. Do you have a Microsoft oem install DVD? You could use this and the license to install it to your new rig, then copy over all your data.

how is it that microsoft manages to come up with this stuff? a byte for byte clone! there shouldnt be anything disernable about it and no way to detect it.

bloody microsoft

have no idea how they managed it, but I attempted to clone the partition using a Linux livecd, and ended up with two non- bootable partitions. I made sure all the flags were the same and everything. According to google, a lot of people had run into the exact same thing, and the word going around was that it was some sort of security feauture, though nobody could figure out how it worked. You might be able to get away with using something such as norton ghost though, but I highly recommend just backing up your data and doing a flat install from the recover disc.

Back
Top Bottom