Gallery: Graphics Cards

Why didn't you get the 5770?

I was seriously thinking about it. I'd rather do without DX11 and use the HD4890 for now. Got it for £94. The minimum DX11 card I like is the HD5850 which I cannot afford yet.

And the HD4890 will be more than enough to get me started in PC gaming.

Weren't both cards about the same price?

Yea. The first HD4890 was gonna cost me £120 which I thought was too much for this GPU. If I really had to spend over a £100 for a second hand GPU I would've gone straight to the HD5770. I got a Second Chance offer @ £94 for another HD4890 that I bid on which 'I reckon' is as good as a HD5770, DX11 apart, any day.

Its a 1GB model. I actually didn't think you could get 2GB model unless you went for the X2 GPU's.

LOL well there was a 2GB 4890 and now there is a 2GB 5870 (the eyefinity6) and a few 2GB customPCB 5870s, as well as some 4GB 5970s.

The x2 cards technically have 2GB, but you do not get a 2GB framebuffer, because the second GPU's framebuffer is used to mirror the original's renderings before being displayed. It's a very long explanation, but basically, only 1GB is used in the so-called 2GB dual-GPU cards.

LOL well there was a 2GB 4890 and now there is a 2GB 5870 (the eyefinity6) and a few 2GB customPCB 5870s, as well as some 4GB 5970s.

Just google'd this and they are something special.

The x2 cards technically have 2GB, but you do not get a 2GB framebuffer, because the second GPU's framebuffer is used to mirror the original's renderings before being displayed. It's a very long explanation, but basically, only 1GB is used in the so-called 2GB dual-GPU cards.

So whats the benefits of more video RAM? Like for instance the 1GB HD4890 over the 512MB HD4890.

Not just higher resolutions. It is the framebuffer, in which all objects are rendered. If you play something with a ton of objects (e.g. A modded oblivion i have) even 1GB will be tiny.

I don't care how old it is. It's still a damn sexy card.

CIMG1414.jpg

Had to re-apply thermal paste (first time ever doing it on this card, and it's an RMA from well over a year ago).

Before:
CIMG1438.jpg

After:
CIMG1439.jpg

Temps dropped about 8C.

Back
Top Bottom