Compaq Proliant 1600 Dual CPU & Hard Drive setup questions

chaslinux

Baseband Member
I have a Compaq Proliant 1600 (Dual PII 450) that I want to set up as a server. I've run into a couple of bumps:

(a) One of the CPUs does not appear to be valid for the system
(b) The Proliant 1600 seems to need a CD of some sort to configure the SCSI drives, configuring them in the SCSI BIOS still brings up a message saying the drives need to be configured.

At this point I'm more interested in problem (a). I've checked the CPUs, both have the same VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) and both appear to be matched speed/cache. Is there a way to identify one as appropriate and one not? Or is this a problem with the second VRM?

Cheers,

Chas

I'm new to the forums here but hopefully I can assist on future issues...

Chas, I own a Proliant myself and just purchased a second processor. I'm looking up white papers now for dual cpu settings..

I can answer the controller cd issue. You'll need smartstart 5.5. Link can be found here.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...kId=135&swItem=MTX-597d7cb6b45d493285e27c1412

I hope I'm not going against forum policy. As I stated, I'm new here.

Hope this points you in the right direction. I'll workout the dual processor errors and repost.

-DNA

I'm reading that the smartstart cd is required for the cpu errors. I'm trying the system config utility now. (smartstart cd)

I booted into the smartstart and ran system config. Both cpu's are up and running.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom