Digital photo frames

mark thorpe

Golden Master
Anyone got one of these?
Any good?

Also, do they run off internal battery power or do they have to be connected at all times?
Cheers

Anyone got one of these?
Any good?

Also, do they run off internal battery power or do they have to be connected at all times?
Cheers

Also if you have one could you list prices.. I am curious on how "hackable" they are.

EDIT: For the ones I have seen, they are plugged in via AC outlet.

A lot of them run an embedded form of Linux. Some have Divx video support. They are usually plugged into the wall.

I got my parents one for X-Mas a few years ago. I think it was around $100. It is plugged in. I doubt you'll find one that runs on batteries because it would be so demanding on them it would chew right through them. I don't remember make/model though.

If you decide to get one make sure it has a wireless network feature. Its super handy to upload the photos via your wlreless network rather than plugging in a usb key.

Also newer ones have touch screens which are nice and also have their own email address so you can just email your photos to your frame and have them come up automatically.

Also, some are also able to receive pictures via SMS so you can send pictures from your phone which is cool

The one I got has internal memory but it relys on an SD card mostly. My parents have 2 SD cards so they'll just change them in and out of the frame and their camera (that way their frame has the most recent pics on it). They also have a folder on their PC so that if there are pics they want to be there, they can copy/paste from PC to the SD card (their PC has a card reader).

Anyone got one of these?
Any good?

Cheers

Some have batteries some don't. I'd recommend one with a remote, its handy if you have a photo album you want to go through like a slideshow

Build one. I did a while back out of an old toshiba laptop from ebay. The total cost came out to like $40 and I got a 12 inch photo frame that pulls all my pictures from a flickr account to display. It is currently running debian 2 with feh photo viewer. I can post some pictures in a few minutes if you want.

I'm not a huge fan of them at all. My mum had one a while back but it's rarely used. In reality if we want to see photos permenantly they'll be up there on the wall printed out, if we want to see them once in a while we'll look on the laptop when we need to do so.

Having something up there with the pictures constantly changing doesn't look very nice in my view... distracting more than aesthetically pleasing.

Interesting point about how hackable they are though - same goes with the cheap £30 sat-navs. I've been wanting to put some lightweight unix / linux variant on one of them for a while, just haven't got round to it yet.

Back
Top Bottom