Help buying a truck

jmacavali

Fully Optimized
Here are the 2 I'm looking at:
2008 Dodge Dakota SXT Crew Cab 4WD, 13.5 K Miles, 3.7L V6
2007 Dodge Dakota ST Quad Cab 4WD, 10.7 K Miles, 3.7L V6

Right now I'm leaning toward the 2007 for some simple reasons. It has fog lights, I like the color better, I like the look better (body lines/grill/lights), chrome buppers, heated seats, I like the middle console and passanger side console better.
The only thing the 2008 has is a bed cover.
Both have 1 owner, clean car fax reports.

I need help deciding which one, but more specifically:

1. How much should I pay for each one?

2. I can pay cash for either one, should I?
2a. Will I get a better deal if I pay cash or if I finance?

3. If I don't pay cash, how much should I put down?

4. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

I agree with you on the 2007. I like the body style and the interior. 2007 is 5 out of 5 for reliability so far on msn autos.. No data for 2008 yet.

Definitely pay cash if you've got it and it will not break you. It'll save you money/headaches in the long run!

I would pay cash if I was you. You not only have a huge bargaining chip but you will also not pay any interest.

I personally would go with the 2007 because it is a tad cheaper and has less miles plus you already said you like it better.

If I was buying either though I would look up what the kelly blue book value is not only for retail but also for trade in value because I am pretty sure these were trade ins so they didn't pay much over that price even if they paid that price. You could also have a look at NADA for a price value too because some places may use that as well. By finding out the trade in value of each you can start your bargaining around that price and let them counter offer. I always start by asking them what they are willing to offer me for a best price and then ask them what if you pay cash. Once you get that price from them you then say oh wow I was looking to pay more like this (price around trade in value) If they say no then say well what can you do closer to that price range. Just keep working them down and make it seem like you really aren't going to buy it unless you get a price close to what you want. And if they really wont work with you then just say OK thanks anyways and come back the next day and try and talk to a different salesman :) That has worked for me a few times because they work on commission so if one won't work with you maybe someone else will.

Thanks for the replies so far. I'll keep you updated. Not sure on when I'm going to go over and talk to the dealership yet.
KBB says that it's 'trade-in value' is $13.7K. It's listed for $20K. Should I try to get it for $14 or $15 or is that too low. I want to find a number that they'll accept.

Always give them a ridiculously low number at first, especially since you can pay cash. Also, be willing to walk out the door if the price isn't right and let the sales guy know that. He'll be hesitant at first, then he'll go talk to his manager and they'll both come back with a lower price.

There is no such thing as too low of an offer. I wouldn't expect them to take that considering its 5 or 6 thousand less than what they want but it doesn't hurt to try. They mark up the prices based on trying to make a profit, place some of everyday expenses in it, and other things like cleaning it up for sale, new floor mats if needed etc. But remember they are looking for people who will come back again with their next purchase and by going in there with enough cash to purchase a new vehicle they have to be thinking well lets get him this one now for a good deal and he should be back for another one. Make sure to wheel and deal them for a warranty as well. I am sure they offer a warranty with it for a certain amount of time but many times when you get them at the bottom price you can get you can get them to throw in other options as well such as free maintenance for a period of time or extended warranty at no cost. These things can be pretty cheap for them to give so sometimes you may have hit rock bottom for price negotiations but can weasel in a few other extras out of them too.

There is no harm in asking the worst they can say is no. Dealerships are not like personal sales they will not refuse you an opportunity to purchase because you haggled them. They work on commission so they will do whatever it takes as long as it is within reason to make a sale.

I was thinking about a warranty. We were able to get that on our other vehicle. I'm thinking, ideally, I'd like to get the truck and a 3 yr warranty for $17K.

Thoughts?

I like the '07 better myself, the color matched bumper makes all the difference IMO. Plus the grill shape is better too. They're just about the same truck other than that and the difference in color.

As for the offer, if KBB says average trade in is $13.5k then I guarantee you they don't have more than $14k in it. If they're trying to make 6 grand on it then you have a lot of room to negotiate. I think probably 16-17k is a good offer for it. Just remember the magic words when you are negotiating a price for a car, "that's too high", once you say that then shut up because the next person to speak loses.

Back
Top Bottom