Roll Out/Deployment Help

bad.heron

Beta member
I'm looking at trying to take on new responsibilities in my current job role and would like some help in reaching that goal. The company is looking at deploying/rolling out Windows 7 and new upgrades to its existing PC's (about 3000)

I have the following questions

From a technical point of view what aspects will need to be considered for the roll out

Whats the best way of communicating the change to the rest of the business?

are there any other resources that will be required? and how could i identify them?

Vista has a site that gives you two different tools:

1. Upgrade Advisor (scans your computer)
2. Compatibility checker (hardware + devices)

I'd suggest you use this website on a few of your main computers and figure out if your hardware is up for the upgrade. Also, make sure that the major programs your company uses will be compatible with Windows 7. This will, no doubt, be your biggest issue. You need to make SURE that everything will still work after the upgrade. If even a single program loses functionality or doesn't run properly, your company will moan and complain about it all.

I assume that the company is using Vista at the moment, right?

You'll need to send out a mass e-mail (Or, if you're not IT, have them do this) alerting members of the upgrade you plan on doing. I've never done such a thing before, but a backup of company data and important files might be something to consider in case something goes wrong.

Definitely make sure to give every employee some time before you upgrade.

Here's the website: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/en-us/default.aspx

Back
Top Bottom