Bit of a strange question

I go by the philosophy of "if it suits your needs, why upgrade?" The economy sucks right now. If the computer does what they want it to, in a manner that they are willing to accept (speed wise) then why spend the money?

If you are so adamant about them getting a better computer, buy one for them and give it to them as a gift.

Will they let you build them a new rig?

Hopefully. I've done it several times before without problems, and offered to pay for any repairs/replacements if I break something.

Have you mentioned the possibility of selling the old one? You might only get 50 dollars out of it, but that would pay for the proc. You can get a really nice and decently powerful build for 300 (no OS).

Probably less these days. That was when I built my media rig a few months ago.

They seem determined to keep this one until it's useless. I'll try that, but I doubt it'll work.

I go by the philosophy of "if it suits your needs, why upgrade?" The economy sucks right now. If the computer does what they want it to, in a manner that they are willing to accept (speed wise) then why spend the money?

If you are so adamant about them getting a better computer, buy one for them and give it to them as a gift.

It's mostly that they don't seem to be bothered when my brother has to stay up all night on a school project because the computer slows him down so much, and things like that. Also, I'm getting tired of his constant complaining about how terrible it is.

It's mostly that they don't seem to be bothered when my brother has to stay up all night on a school project because the computer slows him down so much, and things like that. Also, I'm getting tired of his constant complaining about how terrible it is.

Odds are, he procrastinated and deserved to stay up.

What you and your brother seem to forget is that having a computer at home is a privileged not a god-given right. If he doesn't like the one your parents have there is nothing stopping him from going to the library.

Simplest and non-destructive.

On the powersupply there should be a small switch. 110 and 220. Switch it to 220. ONLY DO THIS IF YOU LIVE IN THE US AND ARE USING 110v. For Europeans using 220v, the computer will explode.

I can't believe you guys are giving this kid suggestions on how to destroy his parents computer. That's just wrong. :rolleyes:

I'll lay you 10:1 odds that his parents wont buy a new computer in the near future if he manages to fry this one.

I know exactly what you're talking about, I know many people in the same situation. Fortunately, it's fairly easy. Take one of the heatsinks off, then remove the thermal paste. Put it back on without the paste. Done deal.

I can't believe you guys are giving this kid suggestions on how to destroy his parents computer. That's just wrong. :rolleyes:

I'll lay you 10:1 odds that his parents wont buy a new computer in the near future if he manages to fry this one.

It is, but sometimes parents can be incredibly unreasonable with tech stuff. So I'm sort of sitting on the fence about this issue.

And maybe, but they might need it themselves. In which case it would probably be worse to destroy it. Ugh.

I'm kind of with Rooster on this one. This begins to infringe on the line of law breaking. Which forum rules prohibit condoning breaking of laws (local, state, federal).

Just ask them to buy another 512-1GB ram. It will make it much more bearable. If they wont buy it, then you could. It's not expensive.

I'd just upgrade the RAM, and get a used GPU for dirt cheap (Like a Geforce 4 5000 or 6000 series). Eventually, with no upgrades, you can't do much these days with older computers...

Odds is that he'll lose his PC to cover the damage.

Back
Top Bottom