Raid and ssd

GEKKACAMEO

Baseband Member
My apologies if there is already a thread pertaining to this topic. I am on my way to work and wanted to ask about this before I forgot.

I am just wondering if people feel that the use of solid state hard drives will make raid obsolete or will it continue to be a great way to boost read/write times? It seems that raid would end up being too much work for a very little payoff but then again I do gang my ram (seems like the same thing...is it?).

My apologies if there is already a thread pertaining to this topic. I am on my way to work and wanted to ask about this before I forgot.

I am just wondering if people feel that the use of solid state hard drives will make raid obsolete or will it continue to be a great way to boost read/write times? It seems that raid would end up being too much work for a very little payoff but then again I do gang my ram (seems like the same thing...is it?).

RAM operates a little differently. The RAM controller can access the RAM banks simultaneously and not one bank by one. With RAID 0 the data is stripped across two drives. This is what gives you the increased read/write times in a stripped array.

RAID 0 is kind of a misnomer. AID 0 would be better because the array isn't Redundant and only used when describing RAID(!)0. RAID is supposed to offer data redundancy and RAID 0 doesn't. In this respect alone SSD's will not/never replace RAID arrays. If you want some form of data protection then a RAID array, 1 or higher, will offer this form or protection.

RAID 0 or an SSD? I'd go with an SSD because the idea of RAID is data redundancy, not speed, therefore rendering RAID 0 almost pointless if it weren't for the fact that SSD's are still expensive and I really don't see the need for slightly quicker loading times at the expense of two drives and increased possibility of data loss.

Raid won't become obsolete with any foreseeable storage means, because raid will pretty much always make it faster (in the case of RAID0). Also, the other RAID's just make it more secure and stable, so that's unlikely to change as well.

RAID will become obsolete in terms of performance. It never was all too great at making amazing boosts in performance, though it did help a bit. RAID in a SSD is not going to gain performance I believe in theory because SSD don't have disks, they have blocks which can be accessed simultaneously. The only reason you would RAID SSDs is for security, to be redundant.

But if prices never go down? HDDs will be used in NAS systems and for giant RAID configs and SSDs will be used to boot the OS and games.

Great info. I'm going to look into redundancy now. Something I've not yet purposely considered in a build.

Samsung SSD Raid thing is crazy. That would be so expensive.

Great info. I'm going to look into redundancy now. Something I've not yet purposely considered in a build.

Using a RAID 1, or higher, array is a great way to decrease the possibility of loosing data should a drive fail.

RAID 0, or AID0:D , has a speed advantage.

I'll always favour security over the slight speed increase.

But when the SSD drop in price i'll have one.

:)

Back
Top Bottom