Programming Tutorials

Jaymo

Baseband Member
Hi Guys,

I am trying to create a basic fish tank in a bland 3D environment possibly using Java programming language.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide me with some links on tutorials to something similiar or if someone could help via the forums or msn that would be brilliant.

Thanks all for any advice or guidance! :)

How much experience with programming have you got? Have you got experience with Java / OO concepts but just haven't used 3D libraries before, or are you a complete beginner?

How much experience with programming have you got? Have you got experience with Java / OO concepts but just haven't used 3D libraries before, or are you a complete beginner?

A bit of a mixed bag, I studied Java programming using Borland JBuilding from 2002 - 2004 and then from 2006-2007 but haven't really used it much apart from within a program called processing.

So in terms of experience; I should be able to pick up Java again fairly easily but I have no experience with 3D libraries.

I'd love to offer someone payment in order to complete the 3D application for me but I am more of a diy person.

I'd love to offer someone payment in order to complete the 3D application for me
Now where's the fun in that? ;)

Have a look at JMonkey - it's one of the best (I think the best) 3D library out there at the moment, and it's got a great community behind it with tutorials, sample applications and the like.

Now where's the fun in that? ;)

Have a look at JMonkey - it's one of the best (I think the best) 3D library out there at the moment, and it's got a great community behind it with tutorials, sample applications and the like.

its a very big long shot but would u be able to help me out with a starting point in the programming? i have no idea how to use 3d libraries and would love to how something to show me how to start

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php?id=user_s_guide

The link above gives you far more information than I could hope to give you here!

One thing I will stress - all 3D libraries (including Jmonkey) tend to be relatively complex, in that you don't want to be understanding basic Java syntax / concepts at the same time as working round the JME concepts. So if you do want to go down this route and you are shakey on Java, get that up to scratch first before you start looking at trying to do complex 3D stuff!

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php?id=user_s_guide

The link above gives you far more information than I could hope to give you here!

One thing I will stress - all 3D libraries (including Jmonkey) tend to be relatively complex, in that you don't want to be understanding basic Java syntax / concepts at the same time as working round the JME concepts. So if you do want to go down this route and you are shakey on Java, get that up to scratch first before you start looking at trying to do complex 3D stuff!

I would love to learn it all but i need to have created the fish tank within 3 days really. I want to use a 3d virtual fish tank environment to test on some subjects for my dissertation (the fish tank doesnt actually form part of the project but the result do and so according to my guidelines i need to have an original application made) do you know of anywhere which provides the source code for a 3d fish tank? doesn't neccessarily need to be in Java, just something that I can change to my requirements really.

Try searching around for models in .x format (I would have a more thorough look but haven't got time at the moment.) You might find something you can modify / drop into a modelling program you can use for the purpose.

Back
Top Bottom