Random Chit Chat

?

Anyway, I just found an 8800GT for $35 shipped. Gonna buy tomorrow. It has the 65nm nVIDIA solder joint problem, so I am gonna try removing the HSF and letting the thing run for a little while to reflow the solder. Should work in theory, and if it doesn't, then it was only $35.
Do the oven trick on the card. I hear it works really well on some cards. . .

The Oven Trick

Does anyone have ideas on how I would go about resizing my spare partition in XP? I checked out Gparted but it seems to have a high rate of failure. It doesn't even looked to be compatible for Windows.

I use PartedMagic. It's worked every time I've used it. Used it to move a hole crap load of partitions on my desktop and then also on my laptop once. Worked fine. Just had to fix the boot.ini or whatever they call it in Vista/W7 now by popping the disc in.

Well, I probably won't care if I was making a lot of money. However, since I am not, I want my things to last longer so I don't have to replace them as quick.

I'm not saying to just throw your stuff around carelessly. What I'm saying is, this is all a product of the technology era. I've had my iPod for like 5 years. It's still working fine. It's scratched to hell now because it would be stupid to take "care of it" any longer. When it dies, it'll die. What I'm saying is, a lot of the time you seem like you don't enjoy things because you are OCDing over them. For instance, how long was it before you opened your PS3? And now is not getting a skin for your Zune going to prevent you from using it and such? That's just silly. It's a materially object and this is life--shit happens. A screen protector isn't going to extend the life of it...it's going help keep it scuff-free for a while. Trust me, there will come a point in it's life when you won't care anymore. It's not like there are people who keep a Walkman Cassette player in some leather bejeweled case. Do you get my point?

I hate how some technology is made these days especially ipod touch and ipad. it scratches real easy on the back but that doesn't affect the functionality of it one bit but then the batteries eventually die and if the product is out if warranty it will cost a lot of money to replace and in the itouch/ipad case the product is basically garbage after the battery pukes. back in 2005 i had a cheap LG mp3 player with a integrated rechargeable battery and it eventually puked and I wanted to get a replacement battery for it so I contacted support to see if one was available. The support guy got back to me with a response along the lines of I don't know what model that is I have never heard of it. It would probably be a better idea just to replace the whole thing. And then all I could get for replies from support were links to product catalogs and other bs.

I Got My License :D

And i sympathise with you Mikee286. I've had my creative Zen for quite a while and my battery is starting to dye on me,i shudder to think how much an ew battery would cost...

Do the oven trick on the card. I hear it works really well on some cards. . .

The Oven Trick

This was my original plan, but I got to thinking, why couldn't I just run the card with no HSF? It seems like it would be a lot safer, because I would not run the risk of screwing other components in the process.

Anyway, the card is still for sale, I will probably buy it tomorrow.

Mikee286: Buy one from eBay with similar specs and solder it to the board yourself.

Neo: Congratz!

For instance, how long was it before you opened your PS3?

I didn't open my PS3 for awhile because I didn't feel like it. I was busy and didn't feel like gaming. I wanted to get it early because it was selling out in my city, and my friend was willing to drive me around to find one that day.

\And now is not getting a skin for your Zune going to prevent you from using it and such? That's just silly.

I'm still using my Zune, I was just checking out some screen protectors to get if the current screen protector get scratched enough to where it would bother me when watching a video.

I Got My License :D

No sweat eh? :D

EDIT - Just checking, this soldering iron is decent right?
http://www.amazon.com/Weller-SP23LK...ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1271233210&sr=1-2

I don't remember which one I was going to get awhile back. I don't want to pay much for one either because I want to try it out and practice. If I start to get better at soldering, then I will invest in a better one. If you guys know any better one for $30 and below, feel free to post.
My first project is to add an antenna to this FM transmitter BTW.
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=166903

Back
Top Bottom